• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deflation - Establishment Myth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This is good if you're a person who has self-restraint and can live within a budget, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be too many people these days.

If one has a certain amount of personal discipline, fostered over a number of decades, one is never swayed by advertising aimed at the weak-minded, seeing such inane triviality for what it actually is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
If one has a certain amount of personal discipline, fostered over a number of decades, one is never swayed by advertising aimed at the weak-minded, seeing such inane triviality for what it actually is.
Indeed, advertising is useful if you know how to take advantage of it (ignore qualitative claims, examine and verify quantitative claims) but more of a problem for the gullible.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
So according to student economics you and others like you will cause the economy to collapse.

Well if you've never got a mortgage I'd be very surprised. Equally if you managed to run a business without borrowing.

I know you love to hate on students, but the fact is that this stuff has an enormous amount of evidence behind it, and just because it doesn't suit what you personally think doesn't make it wrong.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm trying to talk in general here :p The issue is that whilst low demand can cause low inflation, as soon as you're below 0 you run into major issues - that's unfortunately where we've just reached.

So long as the BoE keeps interest low people should be incentivised to spend their money as it's cheap to borrow; we haven't yet reached the stage where negative interest would be necessary, at which point you disincentivise the banks to lend, which is an entirely different problem (but arguably even more serious).

So if anything, if the government were faking this they'd fake low (but not very low) inflation as that's optimum - the problem with this is that all those independent economic groups who also do measures would be quick to call you out. Even aside from the central bank and the economy as a whole, there is a *lot* of money to be made from currencies as they increase/decrease in value against each other, and if the value of your currency was seen to be falsely inflated/deflated by false reporting the value of your currency would swing back to its actual value very quickly as demand/supply from currency arbitrageurs* would force this; the resultant shockwave would be far more serious than any gradual change, and the government would be very likely to be found out anyway, making this a very serious risk.

*basically, people who trade in different currencies to try and make money from their changing values relative to each other - sounds useless, but is actually the demand and supply that forces currencies to be at their correct value. They would be extremely quick to jump on any currency that was valued wrongly on purpose, either quickly selling to reduce its value proportionately or vice-versa.

Oh fair enough, didn't realise you were talking generally :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I know you love to hate on students....

There are so many times these days when I see how the English language is being used, but the usage of the two consecutive words of "hate" and "on" begs me to ask for a full explanation of in what literary sense are these two words are meant to be conveying.

Would not "hate upon" be far more grammatically correct, if what you have said is now an accepted terminology?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Paul Sidorczuk said:
Would not "hate upon" be far more grammatically correct, if what you have said is now an accepted terminology?
It's an Americanism, Paul. It's downhill all the way to Newspeak. :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's an Americanism, Paul. It's downhill all the way to Newspeak. :)

"American English"...the home to those who are said to be grammatically challlenged...:<(

There are those who would compare the musical works of Thomas Tallis to the genre often generally referred to as "rap music" in the same downward spiral into the land of the lowest common denominator...:roll:

MCR247

Established Member
There are those who would compare the musical works of Thomas Tallis to the genre often generally referred to as "rap music" in the same downward spiral into the land of the lowest common denominator...:roll:

Compare in what way? If you mean that people prefer may rap music to Thomas Tallis, whats wrong with that?

radamfi

Established Member
There is no official body that defines what is "proper English". Not even the OED. Other languages do have such a regulator, for example the Dutch Language Union in The Hague, which oversees the Dutch language in the Netherlands, Belgium and Suriname.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There is no official body that defines what is "proper English". Not even the OED. Other languages do have such a regulator, for example the Dutch Language Union in The Hague, which oversees the Dutch language in the Netherlands, Belgium and Suriname.

I have in front of me right now a copy of 'Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English Usage', first published in 1926 by the Oxford University Press though the edition I have is the fourth, published earlier this year and now edited by Jeremy Butterfield. I think it could be held to represent the nearest we have to an official 'adjudicator' though, being English, an adjudication never ever quite gets made. The Academie Francaise continues to rail against Anglicisms in the French language, but it is of course banging its collective head against a brick mur.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
There are so many times these days when I see how the English language is being used, but the usage of the two consecutive words of "hate" and "on" begs me to ask for a full explanation of in what literary sense are these two words are meant to be conveying.

It has less strong connotations that outright hating something, and I can't really think of a synonym that conveys the exact same meaning.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There is no official body that defines what is "proper English". Not even the OED.

Who is not to say that it is I who experience the uneasiness that lies upon the head that wears this particular crown....well, at least on RailUK Forums...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Compare in what way? If you mean that people prefer may rap music to Thomas Tallis, whats wrong with that?

Perhaps, as a special treat to you and other like-minded musical philistines, I shall in the near future attempt to recreate a special event that will feature of the wonderment of musical excellance that Handel brought to "The Messiah" with its various musical nuances interspersed with changes of timbre and tempo and arrange a performance, based upon rap music with scarcely dressed young women gyrating in the background as a distraction to keep the audience unaware of the lack of rap music musical sublety as is often the case when I have been unfortunate enough to have viewed a performance of this modern slide into the deepest abyss of musical performance...<(

I am still trying to understand the exact meaning of your phrase "people prefer may rap music" and ask exactly what it is that you mean by such a phrase....:roll:

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Perhaps, as a special treat to you and other like-minded musical philistines, I shall in the near future attempt to recreate a special event that will feature of the wonderment of musical excellance that Handel brought to "The Messiah" with its various musical nuances interspersed with changes of timbre and tempo and arrange a performance, based upon rap music with scarcely dressed young women gyrating in the background as a distraction to keep the audience unaware of the lack of rap music musical sublety as is often the case when I have been unfortunate enough to have viewed a performance of this modern slide into the deepest abyss of musical performance...<(

Hmmm it seems strange how you make the focal point of rap music to be the scantily dressed ladies rather than the music behind it. Though I don't remember many scantily dressed ladies in videos for N.W.A's Straight outta Compton nor on a lot more of the hardcore vids of yore.

I would bore you with loads of stuff about it but I know that for you and your age,rap isn't something that you would actually take time out to listen to the rather excellent craftsmanship of someone like J Dilla nor would be interested that beats on the afore mentioned N.W.A track actually was a sample used from an old tuen by the Winstons - Amen Brother. Which coincidently was the same break that was used in many other forms of music and was what actually made jungle , 'Jungle'. A truly great British masterpiece.

I don think it is very fair to pour scorn on a style of music that you more than lilkely would not have paid much haste in listening too as that does show a rather narrow-minded approach to things.

Status
Not open for further replies.