• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay – giving names and addresses of all passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oochooch

Dear All,

I'm a long-time lurker here, but this is the first time I've ever posted.

I am trying to claim Delay Repay on tickets I bought for myself and a friend. Cross Country have sent me this:

"As we award compensation to each passenger travelling and as you have submitted this claim on behalf of yourself and the other passengers, please could you confirm the other passenger's names and addresses.

Alternatively, this compensation can be made payable to yourself, on the understanding you will distribute this accordingly to the other passengers travelling, however we will still require their names and addresses."

Do I really have to provide the address of my companion, seeing as I bought both tickets? They state that the information is required for 'fraud prevention reasons', but seeing as they are happy to pay all the money to me on the 'understanding' that I will pass it on, this doesn't seem like a strong argument. I don't see why I should be giving out other people's names and addresses when they have nothing to do with this transaction. What will happen if I refuse and just ask them to send me the refund for both tickets?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
I do not know if XC position is "right" that they are requesting each passengers name and address. However, I have heard of them doing this before. i.e. even when they were paying the compensation to the lead traveller, they still asked for the other passengers name and address details. It is therefore not out of character for XC (although I have not yet heard of any other train company asking for such information).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes I've heard of this before.

It may be worth sending an FOI request to the DfT asking if XC are allowed to ask for this information, and if it is not provided, are XC allowed to escape liability for paying Delay Repay?

The reason I say it's worth asking the DfT this is because Delay Repay is a franchise commitment.

I'd be interested to learn the Ombudsman's view on this, though I suspect the only way to get their view is to not disclose the names and addresses and see if XC refuse to pay, and to initiate a dispute that way.

robbeech

Established Member
As far as I understand it, delay repay is compensation that is due to the passenger NOT the person who bought the tickets (in the event that they are different people).

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Unfortunately I don't think you would get very far if you refused basic details such as names and addresses.

Ultimately, it would be difficult to pursue the matter further - be that at the hapless Ombudsman or at Court - without giving the other passengers' names and addresses to CrossCountry.

Frankly, with the TOCs I would more readily suspect incompetence than malice when it comes to things like handling personal data.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I had this with XC once (total to repay under £10) for five tickets Penzance-Hayle. Two adults, three children on a family & friends railcard. They told me they needed to speak to everyone in person to say they were happy for me to claim on their behalf. I replied explaining one was a small child, I was Deaf, and another of the party was Deaf, so good luck to them with that phone call. But if they wanted to come on over and visit us in person to arrange this, I'd consider this a reasonable adjustment. They sent the cheque within the week. They obviously like the information, but it is clearly not actually required.

island

Veteran Member
I think this is simply a fraud prevention hurdle in case you had picked up discarded tickets and sought to claim on them.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I think this is simply a fraud prevention hurdle in case you had picked up discarded tickets and sought to claim on them.

Seems pointless, as I could still provide a list of names and addresses! Surely it can't just be XC trying to dissuade people from claiming?

najaB

Veteran Member
Seems pointless, as I could still provide a list of names and addresses!
True. But then it gives them solid evidence if they do feel that something is off and decide to investigate further, equally it makes it easy to show that you're not up to something dodgy.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
True. But then it gives them solid evidence if they do feel that something is off and decide to investigate further, equally it makes it easy to show that you're not up to something dodgy.

I get that, but if the tickets are all booked on a railcard, and some are children, then common sense should also apply!

najaB

Veteran Member
I get that, but if the tickets are all booked on a railcard, and some are children, then common sense should also apply!
Well, your experienced noted above suggests that it is once an actual human being gets involved (the first response likely being automated).

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Well, your experienced noted above suggests that it is once an actual human being gets involved (the first response likely being automated).

Fair point. It is a shame common sense doesn't apply sooner though. As railcard tickets have to travel together, I don't see why they can't claim together.

js1000

To the OP - I would politely refuse to provide names and addresses if you feel uneasy about giving details out willy nilly. I can understand why they are asking for it (fraudulent claims) but if it a one-off claim (I'm assuming!) on multiple tickets they should process the delay repay claim as requested without further impediment. It feels unwarranted for a first time claim.

If it is a second claim on multiple tickets, (or if you make a claim on multiple tickets in the future) then it would be reasonable for the TOC to ask for a name and address. Good luck

oochooch

Thanks, all. I have asked them to put both passengers at my address and they seem happy with that. At least I didn't have to put up with them wanting to speak personally to everyone!
I think I will make enquiries of the DfT, as suggested by yorkie. I want to know what they'll say, especially if this is just a quirk of XC's process rather than something which is actually required. I'll let you know how I get on.

jrh2254

Happened to me recently. I received an email asking for the name and address and that they were happy for me to claim on their behalf. I replied immediately with the details and within 5 mins they confirmed my delay repay!
Would be interested to know if its actually required. The email was worded as if it were required.

najaB

Veteran Member
Happened to me recently. I received an email asking for the name and address and that they were happy for me to claim on their behalf. I replied immediately with the details and within 5 mins they confirmed my delay repay!
Was that CrossCountry too or another TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.