• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay 15 to launch across the rail network - Coming to Southern Rail first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For interest what % of your claims are rejected? it is about 9/10 of mine.

Maybe it is because I select the wrong option, but typical examples.

1722 was cancelled - GTR rejections your could have got the 1728. Which of course I would have done if I was told in enough time to walk around Kings Cross to get to it. My appeal which was upheld by travel watch - they paid out many weeks later.

multi-times but as an example.
0923 Welwyn Garden City - London was delayed by 23 minutes couldn't phyiscally board. claim denied it only arrived in London Kings Cross 29 minutes late. My appeal which was uphead by travel watch restated I couldn't board - they paid out.

Missed connections. They state the train was only x minutes late - again I need to appeal to travel watch to highlight that my missed connection actaully made me 90 minutes late and 12 minutes is a valid connection time at Peterborough.

The staff dealing with the claims are either poorly training or on commision to reject as many claims as they can.

I've only had one claim rejected. What I do if it requires a bit more explanation is to select 'other' as the reason and put further details in support of the claim. These are generally train xxyy cancelled, unable to board train yyzz as it was full and standing/short formed/train that I was on wasn't announced as cancelled until after train xxyy had left etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
I've only had one claim rejected. What I do if it requires a bit more explanation is to select 'other' as the reason and put further details in support of the claim. These are generally train xxyy cancelled, unable to board train yyzz as it was full and standing/short formed/train that I was on wasn't announced as cancelled until after train xxyy had left etc.

Will try that from now onwards. The free text will hopefully help.

talldave

Established Member
For interest what % of your claims are rejected? it is about 9/10 of mine.

Maybe it is because I select the wrong option, but typical examples.

1722 was cancelled - GTR rejections your could have got the 1728. Which of course I would have done if I was told in enough time to walk around Kings Cross to get to it. My appeal which was upheld by travel watch - they paid out many weeks later.

multi-times but as an example.
0923 Welwyn Garden City - London was delayed by 23 minutes couldn't phyiscally board. claim denied it only arrived in London Kings Cross 29 minutes late. My appeal which was uphead by travel watch restated I couldn't board - they paid out.

Missed connections. They state the train was only x minutes late - again I need to appeal to travel watch to highlight that my missed connection actaully made me 90 minutes late and 12 minutes is a valid connection time at Peterborough.

The staff dealing with the claims are either poorly training or on commision to reject as many claims as they can.

If the TOC had to cover Travel watch's costs for upheld complaints, they might take more care in the first place.

HH

Established Member

Actually most of the claims are handled automatically. You're getting rejected by a "bot". The extra text used by Hadders probably means it gets passed to a human...

Parallel

Established Member
Weird to think people will be able to put in a claim for 15 mins of delay. In this part of GWR land, I can only do this if I've been delayed an hour or more, currently!

DelayRepay

Established Member
I think you have to claim within 28 days, so I'll probably save mine up and submit them in bulk every fortnight. I would expect 3 - 4 claims a week given current service levels.

Fortunately i start a new job in January and therefore will only have to use Thameslink occasionally from then on.

philjo

Established Member
I had 3 delays of over 30 minutes on GN in the last week - all involved missing a connection northbound at WGC (into the 17:22 from KX at WGC)
I haven't needed to claim depay repay for a while. Under FCC once you had entered your annual season ticket details onto your online account, it was easy to claim subsequent delays using the ticket details.
Now it seems you have to enter the ticket number every time (though 2 of the claims I did I put in together so I was able to get it to duplicate the details).

Anyway I was surprised how quickly they processed the claims.
I put them in online on Monday evening and got an approved email on Wednesday. the cheques arrived in the post this morning (pity tha the can't merge the 2 claims on to a single cheque)

bubieyehyeh

I find using the "other" mean less change of rejections and needing to appeal.

However the brain dead southern system is limited to something like 255 characters, which for some claims is rather limiting.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If the TOC had to cover Travel watch's costs for upheld complaints, they might take more care in the first place.

As LTW are not a proper ombudsman service and lack expertise in most areas anyway, ain't gonna happen.

They are more like ACAS than the Financial Ombudsman.

Weird to think people will be able to put in a claim for 15 mins of delay. In this part of GWR land, I can only do this if I've been delayed an hour or more, currently!

If the government is willing to pay for it...

Don't believe that it is free money. The money has to come from somewhere, be it higher franchise bids, less investment somewhere else, higher fares than would otherwise be...

Personally I think it is a stupid move. Not all TOCs are on Delay Repay yet, and they want to roll out another scheme. Stinks of desperate PR to cover up for the massive cock-up that is GTR than actually about being customer-focused.

Deeeee

Hi

GTR have announced season ticket holders can claim a month of compensation (I have a newspaper link below). Thats if you have an annual season ticket, but also a monthly or weekly season ticket. I have been buying a zone 1-6 student oyster monthly travelcard for years but have bought 1 week train only season tickets from Nov 30th... If you want to claim for the whole month of December as a weekly, you need to prove you have bought season tickets prior tickets to December. Does a student oystercard record count? Also, I have been claiming and have received £2.30 for several delayed journeys from nov-dec12th, does anyone know if we are still eligible for a month of compensation?

www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/s...e-months-travel-in-compensation-a3413341.html

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
I personally think that Delay Repay 15 should have been rolled out nationally across all TOCs. This merely is a continuation whereby passengers are subjected to different rules depending on which TOC they are travelling with and it adds to confusion.

It isn't a good idea. Services are regularly delayed by 15mins or so for all manner of reasons, many of them outside of the immediate control of the TOC. The network is a mess; overcrowded, creaking and unreliable. The powers know this, yet have embarked on a foolish PR stunt regardless of the impracticalities. TOCs will now have a massively increased workload dealing with all of these repay requests, not just processing the valid ones but also dealing with the inevitable ocean of silly applications from people who either fail to understand the system, or just think they may as well try their luck anyhow. A train being 15 minutes late is not ideal, but it's hardly a disaster.

talldave

Established Member
It isn't a good idea. Services are regularly delayed by 15mins or so for all manner of reasons, many of them outside of the immediate control of the TOC. The network is a mess; overcrowded, creaking and unreliable. The powers know this, yet have embarked on a foolish PR stunt regardless of the impracticalities. TOCs will now have a massively increased workload dealing with all of these repay requests, not just processing the valid ones but also dealing with the inevitable ocean of silly applications from people who either fail to understand the system, or just think they may as well try their luck anyhow. A train being 15 minutes late is not ideal, but it's hardly a disaster.

When my premium priced, supposed high speed service, with a journey time of 23 minutes is delayed by 15 minutes, I think it's entirely fair to have some recompense for the journey time being almost doubled. If the service is delayed by 30 minutes, then it's effectively overtaken/replaced by the next service anyway.

BestWestern

Established Member
When my premium priced, supposed high speed service, with a journey time of 23 minutes is delayed by 15 minutes, I think it's entirely fair to have some recompense for the journey time being almost doubled. If the service is delayed by 30 minutes, then it's effectively overtaken/replaced by the next service anyway.

Ah, yes in that particular case I would agree! But that should have been a condition of any TOC selling 'premium' tickets for a supposed better service; I'd like it to start at five minutes personally. Out on the rest of the network however, I do feel that Delay 15 is a little impractical.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If we ever have complete smart ticketing, mat be the delays could be worked out automatically and added on. I suspect that won't be possible for things like rail sail.

Then maybe that would simplify things.

Is delay attribute raise to administer that something like this?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

talldave

Established Member
If we ever have complete smart ticketing, mat be the delays could be worked out automatically and added on. I suspect that won't be possible for things like rail sail.

Then maybe that would simplify things.

Is delay attribute raise to administer that something like this?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not really, since the time of passing through barriers has absolutely no bearing on the holder's originally scheduled journey.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Must remember to keep my tickets - so i actually claim. Always remember later in the day. "Delays over 15 minutes can be claimed for now". :(. Do think i have had a day less than 15 mins all week.

bicbasher

Established Member
Surprised London Overground/TfL Rail haven't changed their policy to 15 minutes yet. An opportunity to bring all of the delay repay claims across the TfL modes together.

DelayRepay

Established Member
So I use Thameslink and after the first week of Delay Repay 15 have just submitted my first batch of claims. I only went to work 3 days this week (so 6 journeys) as I was working elsewhere for 2 days.

My 6 journeys have resulted in a 30 minute claim and a 15 minute claim. I'll get back about £7. If I had claimed for the 15 minute delay on a paper form and asked for a cheque it would have surely cost them more in postage and admin than the value of the claim.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surprised London Overground/TfL Rail haven't changed their policy to 15 minutes yet. An opportunity to bring all of the delay repay claims across the TfL modes together.

If anything, rumours are that LUL are going over to longer thresholds.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
My 6 journeys have resulted in a 30 minute claim and a 15 minute claim. I'll get back about £7. If I had claimed for the 15 minute delay on a paper form and asked for a cheque it would have surely cost them more in postage and admin than the value of the claim.

What would that achieve, seeing that they are on a management contract?

DelayRepay

Established Member
What would that achieve, seeing that they are on a management contract?

It wouldn't achieve anything and I didn't do it. But some people will if they don't use the internet since the paper form only allows you to ask for vouchers or a cheque.

I was trying, perhaps badly, to make the point that this scheme is a bit silly in that the admin costs to the TOC/Government will be more than the compensation cost.

Personally I claim online and I like the Paypal refund option that's available now. I would like it even more if I didn't have to claim for 33% of my journeys (based on last week's experience) and hadn't wasted over 45 minutes on delayed trains.

Wookiee

I would like it even more if I didn't have to claim for 33% of my journeys (based on last week's experience) and hadn't wasted over 45 minutes on delayed trains.

You're lucky! I commute on a Southampton to Croydon season. Renewed it on November 17th and have accumulated nearly £150 in compensation already. Like you, I'd rather have a decent service than the lottery of "will I be home in time to collect my daughter from nursery tonight".

causton

Established Member
Personally I claim online and I like the Paypal refund option that's available now. I would like it even more if I didn't have to claim for 33% of my journeys (based on last week's experience) and hadn't wasted over 45 minutes on delayed trains.

The LM delay repay paper form offers PayPal, you just enter your PayPal email address. Strange GTR didn't do the same!

DelayRepay

Established Member
The LM delay repay paper form offers PayPal, you just enter your PayPal email address. Strange GTR didn't do the same!

Last time I looked at a paper form, which was a couple of weeks ago when their website wasn't working, it only offered vouchers or a cheque. It said if you wanted Paypal, a bank credit or a credit card refund you have to claim online as apparently these methods cannot securely be offered by post. I haven't seen the new forms since Delay Repay 15 started.

vrbarreto

Oh dear delayed again.. Only 28 minutes and counting so far.. Quick question if anyone can answer. From East Croydon to Luton Airport parkway. Have a zone 1 to 6 oyster season and boundary Zone 6 to Luton Airport parkway peak day return. Should I be able to claim for entire journey or just the extension?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh dear delayed again.. Only 28 minutes and counting so far.. Quick question if anyone can answer. From East Croydon to Luton Airport parkway. Have a zone 1 to 6 oyster season and boundary Zone 6 to Luton Airport parkway peak day return. Should I be able to claim for entire journey or just the extension?

Of course you can claim for the complete journey.

talltim

Established Member
As GTR is a management contract and ticket revenue goes to the government, where does the money for Delay repay come from?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Last time I looked at a paper form, which was a couple of weeks ago when their website wasn't working, it only offered vouchers or a cheque. It said if you wanted Paypal, a bank credit or a credit card refund you have to claim online as apparently these methods cannot securely be offered by post. I haven't seen the new forms since Delay Repay 15 started.

Oh, sorry, I misread your post, I thought you said they didn't offer it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.