• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay 15 to launch across the rail network - Coming to Southern Rail first

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

The Department for Transport has announced passengers will be able to claim for delays of 15 minutes or more the scheme will launch first on southern rail followed by Govia Thameslink Railway and eventually across the UK

Rail passengers will be able to claim compensation when trains are more than 15 minutes late under new plans revealed by the Department for Transport (DfT).

The policy, Delay Repay 15, will be launched first on Southern trains, which have suffered months of disruption over disputes about the role of conductors. It will then feature on other Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) services in the coming months before being rolled out across the country.

Existing compensation rules mean passengers can only claim pay outs when services are delayed by at least 30 minutes, but one railway regulator estimates just one in five people actually do so.

Only three in four GTR trains arrived on time between August 21 and September 17 this year with almost one in 10 cancelled or arriving more than 30 minutes late, Network Rail figures show.

A DfT spokeswoman could not give a start date for the scheme but said it would apply to Southern services "soon".

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said: "We recognise that, above all else, passengers want a reliable train service, but when things do go wrong it is vital that they are compensated fairly.

"Delay Repay 15 is a major improvement for passengers and we are working with train companies to make it as easy as possible for passengers to claim their rightful compensation.

"Together with the Consumer Rights Act, this policy shows we are putting passengers first and making sure they receive due compensation for poor service."

Under the new Delay Repay 15 scheme, the compensation thresholds will be:

:: 25% of the single fare for delays of 15 to 29 minutes

:: 50% of the single fare for delays of 30 to 59 minutes

:: 100% of the single fare for delays of 60 minutes to 119 minutes

:: 100% of the total ticket cost (including if it is a return) for delays of two hours or more

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...15-minute-delays-new-plans.html#ixzz4MxdaqdlA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
They missed off the last level for Southern

:: 200% of the total ticket if you are delayed forever

tsr

Established Member
An OBS will come and offer a Haribo for all delays of 5-14 minutes

(...if they ever catch up with the train in the first place)

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
An OBS will come and offer a Haribo for all delays of 5-14 minutes

(...if they ever catch up with the train in the first place)

I still have the cardboard 377 full of jelly beans that was handed out when Southern kept the franchise many moon ago. Perhaps I could hand them out. <D

infobleep

Veteran Member
Apparently they want to look at how the could introduce it during this parliament for all franchises. I wonder if the answer to that will be no, to expensive. What until they come up for renewal.

How many are due for renewal post 2020

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HH

Established Member
They'll probably try to negotiate it in where there's not a renewal shortly. Likely to be a limited budget though, so not everyone may get it.

chris11256

As a c2c smartcard holder I currently get compensation for any delay longer than 2 minutes. Although I think Southern would pay a lot more if held to the same standard.

Last edited:

mrbluelips

I wonder how this will work on season tickets?

Are there differences depending on the franchise? A delay of 15 minutes is quite a lot for a short Northern route, but probably not as much of a headache for, say, a Virgin London to Manchester route.

Bishopstone

Established Member
It will be interesting to see whether minimum connection times change, quietly, to accompany this policy.

I posted regularly in another thread about my experiences with the 18.23 London Bridge - Eastbourne, which has a (tight) booked connection at Lewes onto the 19.31 Seaford, made by about twenty passengers each weekday. Until I stopped commuting in January, this connection had a running success rate of less than 25%, and I doubt it has improved since.

I was not able to claim Delay Repay frequently, as the next Seaford train from Lewes - if it ran promptly - is 27 minutes later, hence below the threshold. On a fifteen minute threshold, I would have been claiming almost every night. Okay, this one example won't break GTR/DFT financially, but I'm sure there are many other connections on the network that fail regularly and will expose GTR to Delay Repay on the new threshold.

I predict some tricks by the operator(s) to reduce their financial exposures.

D365

Veteran Member
Knowing how GTR delay repay works, they will never pay out. You could have caught train x so therefore declined.

Wait, they somehow expect you to predict that a certain train is going to run into trouble and that therefore you should not have taken it?

route:oxford

Established Member
Does this open a wider opportunities for consequential delayed arrival on a through ticket?

Say, for example, I took the 09:00 service from Kings X to Edinburgh on an London-Stirling ticket. I'd expect to arrive into 13:20, and National Rail tells me this is adequate time to connect with the 13:33 service.

(In reality, this is really quite tight anyway - if you end up at the end of platform 2 and you are heading to platform 10 or 12).

All it would take would be for the Kings X arrival to be 5 minutes late and I'd be 30 minutes later into Stirling as a direct consequence.

The same could be done for less-frequent services.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It isn't a good deal infact I would say its a worse deal than the previous regime, it is

25% of a ticket single price for journeys 15-30 minutes
50% of a ticket prie for journeys 30 minutes - hour
100% 1 hour or more.

Thats not great.

HH

Established Member
It isn't a good deal infact I would say its a worse deal than the previous regime, it is

100% 1 hour or more.

Thats not great.

And you think it's better now in what way?

Established Member

100% 1 hour or more.

Thats not great.

This probably explains why Virgin recently introduced the single ticket that's 50% of the cost of a return - when bought as a return journey.

Eg Off Peak Euston to Glasgow

£135.10 - Return
£134.10 - Single
£67.55 - Single (when bought as part of a return journey)

Otherwise they would have had to pay back 25% of £134.10 for a 15 minute delay on a return journey.

AM9

Veteran Member
This probably explains why Virgin recently introduced the single ticket that's 50% of the cost of a return - when bought as a return journey.

£135.10 - Return
£134.10 - Single

Otherwise they would have had to pay back 25% of £134.10 for a 15 minute delay on a return journey.

So how is that better than the takings from even 75% at the £134.10 single rate?

Established Member
So how is that better than the takings from even 75% at the £134.10 single rate?

It's basic arithmetic...

Without the introduction of the 50% of return fare, the cheapest walk-up single fare was fractionally less than the return fare.

This would mean that Virgin would have had to pay almost a quarter of a return fare back if one of their services was more than 15 minutes late.

With the introduction of the 50% of return fare ticket, they'll only have to pay back an eigth of the return fare.

Going onto the 100% return, had both the out and back journey been over one hour late - 2x100% of the single fare would have been a payment of almost double the return fare.

HH

Established Member
If it helps making pricing more sensible then that would be a bonus. Unfortunately on many TOCs 90%+ of the fares are regulated or quasi-regulated (bound by other fares around them), which leaves little room for manoeuvre.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, DfT needs to take responsibility for sorting out the fares mess like TS has largely done in Scotland.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's basic arithmetic...

Without the introduction of the 50% of return fare, the cheapest walk-up single fare was fractionally less than the return fare.

This would mean that Virgin would have had to pay almost a quarter of a return fare back if one of their services was more than 15 minutes late.

With the introduction of the 50% of return fare ticket, they'll only have to pay back an eigth of the return fare.

Going onto the 100% return, had both the out and back journey been over one hour late - 2x100% of the single fare would have been a payment of almost double the return fare.

It doesn't work like that, "the single fare" in the context of a return fare means "half the return fare".

So if you pay £100 for a return, for 15 minutes delay the compensation will be £12.50 - £100 * 0.5 * 0.25.

You can never claim more than the ticket price paid, AIUI. So if you are delayed >2hrs in both directions you simply get a full refund.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
I personally think that Delay Repay 15 should have been rolled out nationally across all TOCs. This merely is a continuation whereby passengers are subjected to different rules depending on which TOC they are travelling with and it adds to confusion.

HH

Established Member
I personally think that Delay Repay 15 should have been rolled out nationally across all TOCs. This merely is a continuation whereby passengers are subjected to different rules depending on which TOC they are travelling with and it adds to confusion.

It costs money. I'm amazed that it's happening at all.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

£135.10 - Return
£134.10 - Single

Recent? The "Saver Half Return" was around before simplification!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Bumping this up as it starts next weekend. Just wonder how many people with bother claiming. I will get at least £3 most days because of delays of more than 15 minutes. It takes more than 15 minutes per claim when you consider the submit --> appeal (get ignored by GTR) --> escalate to London travel watch process that current exists.

I would personally rather have an improvement on the existing process for claiming.

I would love to claim for every delay but the current process is so painful I don't bother unless I will get more than £10 back. I am sure many people feel the same so this is really a gimmick that few will ever use.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I always claim. Rail fares are expensive enough as they are. It all adds up and the don't really have an issue with GTR rejecting my claims, even when there's a bit of complexity.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I always claim. Rail fares are expensive enough as they are. It all adds up and the don't really have an issue with GTR rejecting my claims, even when there's a bit of complexity.

For interest what % of your claims are rejected? it is about 9/10 of mine.

Maybe it is because I select the wrong option, but typical examples.

1722 was cancelled - GTR rejections your could have got the 1728. Which of course I would have done if I was told in enough time to walk around Kings Cross to get to it. My appeal which was upheld by travel watch - they paid out many weeks later.

multi-times but as an example.
0923 Welwyn Garden City - London was delayed by 23 minutes couldn't phyiscally board. claim denied it only arrived in London Kings Cross 29 minutes late. My appeal which was uphead by travel watch restated I couldn't board - they paid out.

Missed connections. They state the train was only x minutes late - again I need to appeal to travel watch to highlight that my missed connection actaully made me 90 minutes late and 12 minutes is a valid connection time at Peterborough.

The staff dealing with the claims are either poorly training or on commision to reject as many claims as they can.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The staff dealing with the claims are either poorly training or on commision to reject as many claims as they can.

They certainly won't be on a commission! Hanlon's razor applies.

They will however be very poorly trained and not encouraged to think for themselves. As a former DR processor, the default approach should always be to pay what the customer is claiming, unless it is CLEAR that the claim is fraudulent, mistaken or otherwise inadmissible.

Status
Not open for further replies.