• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay and Rover tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatboy

Established Member
Hi chaps,

I use a Freedom of the Severn and Solent 3 in 7 day Rover and two singles to and from Tiverton Parkway because this is cheaper than a return to Great Malvern (Though whinge as I might about the fare to Malvern, its at least better than Hereford, which costs £20 more even though via Hereford is a valid route for the Great Malvern return, odd, and half the price of a return to nearby Evesham!).

I was over 2 hours late home on Sunday evening because a hole opened up underneath the 16:05 Malvern Link to Birmingham New Street and the connection from Worcester to Cheltenham is only 2 hourly on a Sunday. Stuff happens, I get that. But what was annoying is the passenger information displays proudly reporting it as on time until 10 minutes after the arrival time, when it simply vanished. The help points at the unmanned station simply link to NRES staff who could tell us nothing. I missed the opportunity to arrange a lift to Worcester thinking the train was coming soon and, well, I wont bore you with the rest.

Ordinarily I'd end up with a reasonably amount of RTV's for the hassle but how does this work with a Rover?

I only used the ticket for my two journeys as I would have with a conventional return but they don't know that and I can't prove that.

I guess I'm entitled to nothing?

Anyone had the same thing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
You're entitled to a voucher of at least the value of 20% of the price paid divided by the number of days the ticket is valid for. So if it was £100 paid then it would be £6.67 minimum. That's the minimum level which an operator can pay out at, which could be significantly lower than what you will get.

Note that it is per delay that you would be entitled to that rate in the event of multiple delays. Although, I'm not sure which operator you'd send your ticket to if there were multiple delays from different operators.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Line Rover

Established Member
You're entitled to a voucher of at least the value of 20% of the price paid divided by the number of days the ticket is valid for. So if it was £100 paid then it would be £6.67 minimum. That's the minimum level which an operator can pay out at, which could be significantly lower than what you will get.

Note that it is per delay that you would be entitled to that rate in the event of multiple delays. Although, I'm not sure which operator you'd send your ticket to if there were multiple delays from different operators.

No, this is incorrect - you are not "entitled" to compensation. Unless otherwise stated in the TOC's Passenger Charter, you are not entitled to compensation as you are not given such a right in the NRCoC. The NRCoC mentions singles, returns and season tickets - it does not mention rover/ranger tickets. ATOC have confirmed to be on numerous occasions that you have no right to compensation when using rover/ranger tickets.

Having said that, most TOC's are happy to pay compensation for most rover/ranger tickets when you are delayed, so it's worth sending a claim anyway! However I had to mention the above to stress that you have no right to complain if the TOC refuses to pay compensation.

Brucey

I'm assuming you'll be applying to FGW for the refund?

On the same ticket, they worked out my compensation based on the ticket effectively being 3 return tickets, so each "return ticket" cost 1/3 of the rover's price.

John @ home

Established Member
Ordinarily I'd end up with a reasonably amount of RTV's for the hassle but how does this work with a Rover?
In May, I was delayed by 1 hour 24 minutes when using a Freedom of the Severn and Solent 3 in 7 day Rover for a journey Taunton - Bournemouth via Salisbury. FGW sent me a £7 voucher which appears to have been calculated:
FGW Passenger Charter said:
Journeys on (former) First Great Western services

If your journey is delayed by more than an hour, we will compensate our customers, including Weekly Season Ticket Holders the full value in National Rail vouchers, of the part of the journey, which was delayed, i.e. 50% of the cost of a return, and 100% in case of a single ticket. If you are delayed in excess of two hours, we will compensate customers the full cost of your ticket. If you hold a Weekly Season Ticket, we will base your compensation on the daily value of your ticket.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/About us/Passenger charter/Passenger_Charter_WEB.pdf
Cost of 3-in-7 day rover = £42
Daily value = £14
Assume one return journey (or two single journeys) daily.
50% of the cost of a return = £7.

Note that FGW have different compensation schemes for journeys on (former) First Great Western Link Services and journeys on (former) Wessex Trains services, so the treatment of your claim may be different.

Goatboy

Established Member
I'm assuming you'll be applying to FGW for the refund?

No, my initial train was a London Midland service (It was infact the train I was due to catch which got caught above the the problem on the track) so I'll be applying to them.

In May, I was delayed by 1 hour 24 minutes when using a Freedom of the Severn and Solent 3 in 7 day Rover for a journey Taunton - Bournemouth via Salisbury. FGW sent me a £7 voucher which appears to have been calculated:Cost of 3-in-7 day rover = £42
Daily value = £14
Assume one return journey (or two single journeys) daily.
50% of the cost of a return = £7.

I actually only used the ticket for two days - and therefore have only marked two days on the matrix for choosing your days. I wonder if this will affect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.