• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay and rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtuk

Hi,

Can anyone give a clue as to how delay repay is calculated when utilising a rover/ranger? I was delayed by 30-60 on SHF-SPT a couple of weeks ago utilising a combination of a GM Wayfarer and a Grindleford-Sheffield return (missed the last connecting train home, but Transpennine used the stupidly large MCT defense on Twitter so couldn't be bothered to reclaim the cab fare), and was surprised to receive a rail voucher for all of £1.15, whereas if I'd have bought a straight return for 21 quid or whatever obscene amount TPE hiked it to when they eliminated day returns, it'd be five quid something. So how does it work? I suspect random number generator but any ideas would be useful

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave91131

Hi,

Can anyone give a clue as to how delay repay is calculated when utilising a rover/ranger? I was delayed by 30-60 on SHF-SPT a couple of weeks ago utilising a combination of a GM Wayfarer and a Grindleford-Sheffield return (missed the last connecting train home, but Transpennine used the stupidly large MCT defense on Twitter so couldn't be bothered to reclaim the cab fare), and was surprised to receive a rail voucher for all of £1.15, whereas if I'd have bought a straight return for 21 quid or whatever obscene amount TPE hiked it to when they eliminated day returns, it'd be five quid something. So how does it work? I suspect random number generator but any ideas would be useful

Below are a couple of examples from recent personal experiences:

1) delayed by over 30 minutes on a journey from Tipton to Hampton-in-Arden (via change at Birmingham New Street), ticket held was a Daytripper (a local run-about allowing unlimited journeys on a single day in the Birmingham area) which cost £6.70. Delay repay submitted online, amount of monies compensated £1.67.

2) delayed by over 60 minutes on a journey from Conisbrough to Sheffield, ticket held was a South Yorkshire Connect Plus (a similar sort of thing to the Daytripper but for the Sheffield / Doncaster area) which cost £8.20. Again delay repay was submitted online, amount of monies compensated £4.10.

The amount of monies compensated in both of the above examples appear to suggest that the tickets were treated the same as day returns, in that in example 1 a delay of over 30 minutes gave compensation of 50% of the cost of half of the ticket (akin to one portion of a return) and in example 2 a delay of over 60 minutes gave compensation of 100% of the cost of half of the ticket (again akin to one portion of a return).

In the more distant past I have not been able to deduce what basis refunds were issued on - for example a few years ago I experienced numerous delays whilst travelling on a 7-day East Midlands Rover, mainly between Peterborough and Doncaster on what was then VTEC. Over the course of the 7 days I submitted I think 12 claims for 12 delayed journeys, all with VTEC, and the combined total of all the monies compensated came to about £5 less than the full approximately £110 cost of the ticket. Given that I made around 80 journeys in total over the course of the 7 days on which the ticket was valid I don't know what the situation would have been had I experienced further delays because, based on the amounts compensated for the afore-mentioned 12 delays, I could (it seems) have been compensated amounts totalling considerably more than the total cost of the ticket.

I'm sure fellow members more 'in the know' will be able to provide further info - hope this helps.

_toommm_

Established Member
From deducing what has happened in my experiences, rovers are treated as returns for delay repay. For example, I had a North West Rover 4-in-8 priced at £55 with railcard. I was delayed on the West Coast by over an hour missing my connection at Carlisle, so they divided it by four to split the ticket into four one day segments, then divided by 2 as I was delayed by the full hour on what was now classed as a return ticket

IanD

Established Member
Hi,

What does SHF-SPT mean and what is the MCT defense?

Dave91131

Hi,

Having re-read and given some thought to the content of the original post of the thread - could the OP be saying that TPE are / were claiming that he had not allowed the Minimum Connection Time?

jtuk

Yeah, minimum connection time, apparently it takes five minutes to change at Stockport these days

IanD

Established Member
Yeah, minimum connection time, apparently it takes five minutes to change at Stockport these days

That is the minimum connection time for any station where no minimum is explicitly specified (such as Stockport).

agbrs_Jack

I had a similar experience travelling Sheffield to Stockport with TPE. This was an advance single for around £2.45 and a northern free single from Goole to Congleton.
The 21:11 from Sheffield was around 11m late and missed the 21:57 (last train) back to Congleton.
I got the next train to Macclesfield (22:50 from MAN) and got a bus back from there. TPE refunded my £2.45 but not the bus fare, on calling them they promised a £5 eVoucher or RTV. This was in July and I've received neither.

Rover Delay:
Freedom of Servern and Solent (3 in 7 days): £40.30
Delay: 120+ minutes (Taunton to Chippenham via Westbury)
GWR sent me a cheque for £13.45 (full refund of 1 of the 3 days, generously rounded up.)

ashworth

Established Member
Earlier this summer on a 7 Day Heart of England Rover I had horrendous problems on my first day with a delayed EMT train into Nottingham which resulted in me missing my connection to Crewe via Tamworth. I then used the replacement buses via Derby during the Derby blockade and the Derby to Uttoxeter bus broke down and I eventually arrived in Crewe 2 hours late.
At the end of the week I sent in my Rover ticket with a letter to EMT explaining what had happened hoping that at the most I might get something like a £10 rail voucher. I received a cheque for almost £17 which came with a very nicely worded letter from EMT apologising for the inconvenience caused and hoping that I enjoyed the rest of my 6 days travelling with the rover without any further problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.