• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay applies to the journey regardless of number of tickets held (mythbuster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rail Delivery Group (RDG) issued a staff brief regarding "split ticketing" on 10th January; included in this brief was the following clarification:

Compensation for delays is usually paid when customers experience a delay on their full journey, regardless of the number of tickets held. When a delay results in a customer with multiple valid tickets arriving at their destination late, multiple tickets may be submitted with a claim for a delayed journey...

Some train companies (e.g. GWR, SWR) make this explicitly clear in their Passenger Charters.

If you are incorrectly denied a legitimate Delay Repay claim, I would quote this to the relevant company. If they continue to refuse, you can refer them to the Rail Ombudsman.

Delay Repay claims go to the company who caused the delay; if you are further delayed later in the journey, this does not transfer the Delay Repay liability to a different company.

Attachments

• Staff Brief-Split Ticketing.pdf
    205.2 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bubieyehyeh

Can you claim for delay repay for journey using a paper ticket, and then continue with oyster from a intermediate station? Or does having to leave and re-enter to switch to oyster seperate it into two seperate journeys?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you claim for delay repay for journey using a paper ticket, and then continue with oyster from a intermediate station? Or does having to leave and re-enter to switch to oyster seperate it into two seperate journeys?
My recommendation is, where possible, to avoid mixing mediums in this way, to keep the claim as simple as possible. I personally find that keeping a claim simple, even if it means losing out on a small proportion of the overall fare, is better for me, in order to reduce wasting time with complex claims and becoming embroiled in disputes.

For example if you can obtain a through itinerary with an accredited ticket splitting site (e.g. RailEurope, Trainline, Trainsplit etc) this can potentially save time and avoid arguments; also I would expect the relevant retailer to provide some assistance if you became embroiled in a dispute where the validity of the itinerary was questioned (this can be particularly the case if the timetable changes after the date of booking)

sheff1

Established Member
If you are incorrectly denied a legitimate Delay Repay claim, I would quote this to the relevant company.

Do you have a link to the official briefing ? A message on an internet forum is unlikely to carry much weight with serial offenders such as LNER.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you have a link to the official briefing ? A message on an internet forum is unlikely to carry much weight with serial offenders such as LNER.
I have attached a copy of the briefing to the opening post of this thread :)

bubieyehyeh

Does this mean that TOC will update the delay repay part of their website to allow you to enter the details for more than one ticket for a claim. GTR only allow you to specify one, and "generously" give you just 255 characters for explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.