• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Crowd Control/Limited Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieGTH

Appreciate there is a dedicated Coronavirus sub form, not sure if this should go there however I would like to query delay repay in Coronavrius related scenarios as inevitably life will gradually return back to 'normal' at some point. Reports are emerging of Train stations put crowd-control measures in place and many intercity trains will be reservation only, however I imagine there will be plenty of services that are not reservation only.

On what grounds would passengers able to claim delay repay if...

a) A passenger refuses to board a train as they deem it too full to board without being able to observe social distancing?
b) A passenger is prevented from boarding as station staff deem it too full to board without being able to observe social distancing?
c) A passenger is prevented from boarding as a service is 'reservation only' and the passenger has a flexible ticket?

The BBC report also reads It is also possible that if a service becomes busy early on, then trains will not stop at other destinations along their routes. I presume in the case of a passenger being unable to alight at their destination as the service misses a stop, passengers would be able to claim?

I'm sure there are many other scenarios that I've not included and the questions I pose are a starting point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
It’s difficult to judge on the first two. The answer to the third is ‘get a reservation’. The two train operators - LNER and Avanti west coast - that now require this provide many ways to do so, such as tweeting them, applying on a website, or getting one at a station. It’s easy to do.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Appreciate there is a dedicated Coronavirus sub form, not sure if this should go there however I would like to query delay repay in Coronavrius related scenarios as inevitably life will gradually return back to 'normal' at some point. Reports are emerging of Train stations put crowd-control measures in place and many intercity trains will be reservation only, however I imagine there will be plenty of services that are not reservation only.

a) A passenger refuses to board a train as they deem it too full to board without being able to observe social distancing?
b) A passenger is prevented from boarding as station staff deem it too full to board without being able to observe social distancing?
c) A passenger is prevented from boarding as a service is 'reservation only' and the passenger has a flexible ticket?

The BBC report also reads It is also possible that if a service becomes busy early on, then trains will not stop at other destinations along their routes. I presume in the case of a passenger being unable to alight at their destination as the service misses a stop, passengers would be able to claim?

I'm sure there are many other scenarios that I've not included and the questions I pose are a starting point.
If you have a reservation/itinerary and are prevented from boarding/alighting you have a valid claim

Anything else is not clear cut; if you have a flexible fare not issued in conjunction with an itinerary and/or reservation (as appropriate) and you choose not to board a service I think any claim is dubious.

Edit: One post from this thread was moved to: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...emes-be-modified-suspended-at-present.204537/

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member

A) That is your personal choice, so I would imagine most TOCs would decline delay repay.

B) You would be entitled to delay repay in this case as an authorised person would have declined you travel on safety grounds.

C) If the service is advertised and sold as reservation compulsory at the time of purchasing your ticket, and you declined or failed to get a reservation, then there will likely be no claim due. Similar to how the Caledonian Sleeper mostly works where if you have no reservation you cannot board.

Status
Not open for further replies.