• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - Dispute over arrival time

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00036

Normally the arrival times at stations seem to be pretty clear-cut (it will depend on the exact positioning of the timing point I suppose). However, I was recently on a train to Reading that was scheduled to arrive at platform 5 but was diverted to platform 7; These are registered under different TIPLOC codes so have different timing points, with platform 7 taking about a minute longer to reach. The platform change wasn't recorded in the rail data so the wrong timing point was used.

In my case, this meant that we passed ("arrived") at platform 5 14 minutes late, but the doors opened at platform 7 15 minutes late. The amount of compensation involved here is minimal but you could imagine more expensive tickets with much longer delays determining by a 1 minute arrival time dispute. Has anyone got experience with something similar?

Similarly, if you're on an hourly service and your train is cancelled, I suppose you'd only get 30-59 minute compensation if the train happened to arrive 1 minute early compared to the "timetable," even if it's a known padding point?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

m00036

It was Blackwater to Reading at 10:34 (arrive 10:53) yesterday. I have appealed but I should reiterate that only 60p is up for grabs so it was more a question of principle than anything else :)

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
I have just looked with train up and it is listed as you say as 14 minutes late into the original booked platform. Now when you appeal it will be looked at by a person so hopefully they will apply some commonsense. Your initial claim may have been processed by the automated system so wait and see what you hear back.

td97

Established Member
I've had an exact 15 minute delay with TPE rejected before and appealed (successfully) stating that the time taken for the guard to open the doors meant my arrival time was 20 seconds later than the time the train stopped at the platform. Obviously you can't use that if was a DOO or driver release service.

wellhouse

I've never had to fall back on it, but whenever I arrive on a delayed service, I photograph the platform PIS showing the displayed delay. I appreciate departure may be a minute or more later than arrival, but it is still potentially useful evidence to support a claim. Not helpful at a terminating station, of course

Class800

Established Member
That is a good outcome - I've lost an appeal on something similar with XC in 2019 - when the doors open time was 31 late, but the real time trains time was 29 late, I think they go by something like the final set of points at the station throat - certainly not customer friendly

LondonJohn

When a TOC said a delay for me was 59 min not the 61 I was claiming I asked to do a Data SuBject. accesss Request to include personal data of me to include the onboard CCTV footage and platform footage that would evidence the 61 mins.

The claim was paid at 61 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.