• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay: Got Advance ticket but not reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I have had a delay on an advance ticket, I have kept hold of the ticket but I had binned the reservations and my itinerary given to me by the station. The delay was on the "connections (no reservations" part of the ticket?

Am I likely to have any problems if I fill out an delay repay form online for Southern and attach a scan of just the ticket and state which train was cancelled?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They can always get the information from the ticket number if they are that concerned.

They can't tell anything from the ticket number. It's a sequential number that shows you which order the ticket comes out of the machine in.

If the ticket was booked online you should attach a booking confirmation.

najaB

Veteran Member
They can't tell anything from the ticket number. It's a sequential number that shows you which order the ticket comes out of the machine in.
I must say I'm very surprised that this number is generated and not cross-referenced to anything, anywhere, ever.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The ticket number on its own wouldn't be enough, granted, but as far as I understand it is logged in LENNON when the ticket is issued, and the issue of the reservations is logged as part of the same group of transactions. So, combined with other information such as the origin, destination, route, date and perhaps the retailer, it should theoretically be possible to identify all this, if the will was there.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I must say I'm very surprised that this number is generated and not cross-referenced to anything, anywhere, ever.

There are hundreds and hundreds of tickets with the same number. That really is all it is.

You can't find out what the reservations are from either the ticket number (five digits, like 53782) or the longer LENNON number, which really only tells you where the ticket was sold, how it was paid for and some other basic info.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The ticket number on its own wouldn't be enough, granted, but as far as I understand it is logged in LENNON when the ticket is issued, and the issue of the reservations is logged as part of the same group of transactions. So, combined with other information such as the origin, destination, route, date and perhaps the retailer, it should theoretically be possible to identify all this, if the will was there.

It definitely would not tell you the reservation data or the time of the train taken. I have worked on police enquiries in the past and it just won't tell you this data. Place, time of sale, machine number and a couple of other data points. LENNON stands for something like Latest Earnings Networked Nationally OverNight and it is really a tool for processing ORCATS rather than being a wholly comprehensive reservations database.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
The number which can be cross-referenced is the Ticket on Departure (ToD) reference. For most ticketing systems, the ToD reference is printed on the ticket. If it is, the train company is in a position to verify the booking details.

Flamingo

Established Member
I have had a delay on an advance ticket, I have kept hold of the ticket but I had binned the reservations and my itinerary given to me by the station. The delay was on the "connections (no reservations" part of the ticket?

Am I likely to have any problems if I fill out an delay repay form online for Southern and attach a scan of just the ticket and state which train was cancelled?

I always tell everybody never throw anything away until you get home... :lol:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It definitely would not tell you the reservation data or the time of the train taken. I have worked on police enquiries in the past and it just won't tell you this data. Place, time of sale, machine number and a couple of other data points.
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure that each reservation issued is logged separately in LENNON in addition to the ticket, and thus the record includes the origin, destination and date of departure of each leg of the journey, but I've just re-read the documentation I have access to and it seems that indeed the time of departure is not logged. So you are right! But I think it would be very useful if an otherwise unused or not-necessary field was re-used for the time of departure. Just to have it there for those odd cases when something needs traced.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The number which can be cross-referenced is the Ticket on Departure (ToD) reference. For most ticketing systems, the ToD reference is printed on the ticket. If it is, the train company is in a position to verify the booking details.
That is a really good idea, and sounds feasible to me.

gray1404

Established Member

Interesting point. If there is a TOD printed on a ticket and the ticket was booked and collected from a different TOC to the one you are claiming delay repay from, can they still look up the details?

najaB

Veteran Member
Interesting point. If there is a TOD printed on a ticket and the ticket was booked and collected from a different TOC to the one you are claiming delay repay from, can they still look up the details?
As far as I know the TOD database is shared so I can't see why not.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Even if reservation details can be extracted from LENNON data, no TOC will bother to do it in these cases. Takes far too much effort and time.

If it were only worth a few quid, they may decide to just pay out and have it over and done with. If it were for a serious sum of money, and/or you are a serial complainer, be prepared for your claim to be rejected as officially: no valid ticket, no compensation.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks guys. I think this is one of those where I should just put the form in and see what response I get. Whatever it is just accept it. The ticket is about £8.

Hopefully the person processing it will simply see the train was cancelled and that will be enough for them to pay up and they will not look at the ticket type in too much detail. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.