• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay - How to succeed first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
That is strange. I always thought you should claim based on the actual journey made, not a hypothetical journey based on minimum connection times.
It is a hard one. The 2140 was cancelled I guess it is getting to the point I think I would have made it in 1 minute. GTR think I would have missed it anyway. Had I missed it I would have sent the claim to LNER. But agree to me my delay was caused by the GTR cancellation. I was on the platform at 21:39:15 so ahead of the train (had it ran)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
It is a hard one. The 2140 was cancelled I guess it is getting to the point I think I would have made it in 1 minute. GTR think I would have missed it anyway. Had I missed it I would have sent the claim to LNER. But agree to me my delay was caused by the GTR cancellation. I was on the platform at 21:39:15 so ahead of the train (had it ran)
Good luck explaining to LNER that they delayed you because you missed a connection onto a train that was cancelled.

The joys of a fragmented network.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yes. They need a central body to do all these things.

ironically GTR caused me a 180 minute delay on the outward journey because of a cancellation.

If my journey was a flexible ticket such as an off-peak return they would have needed to refund they entire ticket cost under their policy, but as my journey was made up of 2x APs they didn’t, so GTR have already made a saving on the first delay because I chose to buy 2x Advance rather than an off-peak return.

Skiddaw

Grrr. Avanti has just rejected delay repay claim (my first with them) on basis that my journey 'didn't exist' (despite all the ticket/journey info being included with the claim). Whether it's because I originally booked trip via Virgin app I don't know (Avanti had taken over by the time I traveled). Have appealed but its flipping irritating.

Albion91

Ever heard people referring to "Kafka-esque" experiences and fancied having one yourself? Then try getting the new GWR Delay Repay system to cough up on a claim involving split tickets and a cross-London journey they've bungled*. (*Even when the split's not at a London terminal which seems to really queer the pitch; instead e.g. Bath->Southend split at Reading).

In fact, try getting GWR to pay out correctly on anything recently which isn't trivially simple and neatly aligned with this automated DR system's expectations. I'm still trying to establish whether the web based system is actually a bot with no human input which might explain why it is so astonishingly intransigent.

Not bothering with the standard system and going straight to letter writing seems most likely to succeed. Then it just needs a lot of bloody minded persistence in sending it back repeatedly adding each time a yet-more pedantic explanation of why their initial reasons for refusal are an insult to logic. Refuse to give up. So far that has always got results eventually. Eventually being the operative word as it can take months...

In their defence, they have just paid my delay compensation as requested on a return journey which was composed of split tickets and one change of route excess. (So 5 coupons in my uploaded photograph)

Interestingly, I purchased the change of route excess on the return leg but was delayed on my outward journey, so was reimbursed proportionately to the total return cost of my journey, but not the cost paid at the time of the delay. (Not sure if they considered this...)

Which prompted me to consider this:
If someone is delayed by two hours+ on an outward journey, could they then purchase whatever excess they wanted in the knowledge that they would be reimbursed for the full cost of their journey?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skiddaw

Following on from my post above, Avanti has now denied my appeal on basis that 'ticket was not valid for journey' (it was, and copy of it was included with the claim). At least this time the journey apparently existed. Have lodged complaint and am waiting to see what the next reason for refusal will be. I'm beginning to strangely enjoy myself :D.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Following on from my post above, Avanti has now denied my appeal on basis that 'ticket was not valid for journey' (it was, and copy of it was included with the claim). At least this time the journey apparently existed. Have lodged complaint and am waiting to see what the next reason for refusal will be. I'm beginning to strangely enjoy myself :D.
always best to see these things as a challenge to be overcome....:D

Skiddaw

I just hope I'm not missing a trick. I don't think I am but I'm slightly doubting myself... time will tell I suppose ;)

monxton

Grrr. Avanti has just rejected delay repay claim (my first with them) on basis that my journey 'didn't exist' (despite all the ticket/journey info being included with the claim).
FWIW, my first delay repay with Avanti was successful, and they responded pretty quickly too. Journey was 2 x Avanti trains connecting to CrossCountry, with split tickets (7 tickets for the whole journey). The second Avanti train was 22 mins late, causing missed connection to XC, and hence a one-hour delay at my destination. So plenty of scope for the claim to go wrong, but they have accepted it as a 60 minute delay and refunded the whole fare without demur.

gray1404

Established Member
London North Western/ West Midlands Trains are currently taking around 7-8 weeks to respond to anything sent to their Customer Relations department. This is simply not acceptable.

Their actual Delay Repay (and appeal) processing, which they outsource, is only taking around one week but if they get that wrong (and wrong again on appeal) you are forced to have to complain to Customer Relations and have this excessive wait time for a reply.

D365

Veteran Member
London North Western/ West Midlands Trains are currently taking around 7-8 weeks to respond to anything sent to their Customer Relations department. This is simply not acceptable.

Their actual Delay Repay (and appeal) processing, which they outsource, is only taking around one week but if they get that wrong (and wrong again on appeal) you are forced to have to complain to Customer Relations and have this excessive wait time for a reply.

I’m suffering the opposite issue with CrossCountry at the moment. Have been waiting over a month for a delay repay claim to be awarded (60 mins delay due to cancelled service) but on Twitter they respond to me in a matter of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.