Delay repay if I travel the next day?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by BlueFox, 12 Jun 2019.

1. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

I'm at Carlisle Station at the moment. Been here for 90 minutes.
    Damaged overhead lines north of Carlisle have meant there's been no train north or south on the WCML for around two hours.
    They're bussing people north, but no arrangements for people travelling south. I'm going to Kendal. They don't know when the next train south will be. The 1333 is the next one that hasn't yet been cancelled

A virgin member of staff has said that tickets for today will be accepted tomorrow.

If I decide to travel tomorrow instead will I still be able to claim delay repay?

Last edited: 13 Jun 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I don't think so.

If they've got any sense they will start turning sets there and give you a service soon enough.

4. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

They can't do that without drivers.
    They've just said train crew are due to arrive by taxi at 1330ish.

I'll probably be able to claim the full cost of my ticket back if I travel today, so I'll do that.

5. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

You would, in practice, be able to obtain delay compensation as if you had taken the first available train, even though in theory there is no entitlement to it if you 'needlessly' delay your journey.

I think the best way of dealing with this kind of situation, if you want to remain 100% within the 'right', is to send off an email where you explain the situation and allude to, but don't actually state, how much you would have been delayed. E.g. "the next train was not until XX:XX".

6. Bletchleyite

That would be possible if your ticket was unmarked (and is not an unfair way of doing it), but if it was marked for the following day this might be rejected.

7. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Depends on the ticket. You might have less luck if it's a period ticket, but for an advance or a day ticket it should be relatively straightforward.

If you decide not to travel at all you can get a full* refund (*assuming the outward ticket not used, etc)

8. Bletchleyite

If it was an Advance for travel solely on VTWC bought from them the Delay Repay would probably be paid automatically regardless of whether you used it the next day or not.

9. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

It was an off peak return ticket. I made the journey, and was over two hours late, so I should get the full price back, I've just put in the delay claim.