• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - Intentionally Catching Late Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiang85

Established Member
Interesting debate here, as someone who commutes regularly and suffers delays on a regular basis, I too see there is a line between claiming for services you had no intention to catch and one where your plans had been disrupted, but this may not be as fine as some people suggest.
It is open to interpretation and you have to look at the case of the couple who were fined for claiming almost daily on riduluous journeys which they could not possibly have taken- now that is fraud and quite rightly they were caught (with the evidence of CCTV) at the other end of the scale commuters have to make daily decisions based on the availability of trains, and for that they should be compensated.
I still use the a paper season ticket I’m not convinced that the automatic payment for smart cards is actually efficient enough as it will only account for delays where you have passed through a barrier, something you would not do if your train is delayed and you remain on the concourse (as the operators ask you to do !)
One area where I recon a lot of people miss out is on the 15 - 30 minute delays - I have around 2 a week where I arrive late to the office, most people don’t bother to claim as they see it as effort to do, but doing 5 at a time is not to hard and for me that’s about £15

My regular morning train has been on time TWICE since January 2018. I now keep a spreadsheet, and my average delay for the mornings alone is 10 minutes, although SWR seem quite skilled at making sure trains get into Waterloo within the 15 minutes, even if it means delaying another train that was actually going to be on time (I feel that's usually mine!).

So overall I have an hour or so a week of my time wasted in the mornings alone though not many delay repays (don't get me started on the evenings, but I get different trains every day so it is less easy to keep track of). I 100% claim when I'm entitled out of principle, but I can't be bothered claiming for other times, however I certainly don't begrudge people who might do this. Peoples' time is precious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the chairman

embezzlement
/ɛmˈbɛzlm(ə)nt/
noun

theft or misappropriation of funds placed in one's trust or belonging to one's employer.

sefton

embezzlement
/ɛmˈbɛzlm(ə)nt/
noun

theft or misappropriation of funds placed in one's trust or belonging to one's employer.

What is this, Dictionary Corner?

But leaving that to one side, what on earth does employee theft have to do with Delay Repay.

Mathew S

Established Member
What is this, Dictionary Corner?

But leaving that to one side, what on earth does employee theft have to do with Delay Repay.
That's rather the point. Earlier in the thread it was alleged that the practice described by the OP was embezzlement. Wrongly, as the post you're having a go at proves.

Status
Not open for further replies.