• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay involving multiple TOCs with missed connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy_train

Sorry if this is a duplicate question - I haven't been able to find anything in the search.
This has not happened, but I would just like to know in case it does.

Say I need to to travel from A -> C, with a change at B. I have an anytime single from A -> B, and then an advance single from B -> C. The two legs of the journey are run by two different TOCs.

If I miss the connection (at best this would make me late by more than 30 mins, or at worst late and out of pocket for a new ticket), is there any entitlement to delay repay in this situation?

(FWIW: My initial thoughts are that maybe not, as it is ticketed as two separate journeys, but I just wanted to know what others thought.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Sorry if this is a duplicate question - I haven't been able to find anything in the search.
This has not happened, but I would just like to know in case it does.

Say I need to to travel from A -> C, with a change at B. I have an anytime single from A -> B, and then an advance single from B -> C. The two legs of the journey are run by two different TOCs.

If I miss the connection (at best this would make me late by more than 30 mins, or at worst late and out of pocket for a new ticket), is there any entitlement to delay repay in this situation?

(FWIW: My initial thoughts are that maybe not, as it is ticketed as two separate journeys, but I just wanted to know what others thought.)
Condition 14.1 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) gives you the right to be considered to be making one journey despite using multiple tickets.

Condition 9.4 gives you the right to take a later-than-booked service if you were delayed by an earlier connection during your journey.

So, provided you have left at least the minimum connection time at each interchange station, you are absolutely fine to plan a long journey with one or more Advance tickets.

You are also entitled to compensation in the same way you would be for delays with one through ticket - and the combined value of your tickets will be used as the basis of the compensation amount.

There is never a question of being out of pocket in either having to buy a new ticket if you miss your booked Advance train, or in terms of getting compensation other than on the basis of what you paid for your entire journey.

tommy_train

Condition 14.1 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) gives you the right to be considered to be making one journey despite using multiple tickets.

Condition 9.4 gives you the right to take a later-than-booked service if you were delayed by an earlier connection during your journey.

So, provided you have left at least the minimum connection time at each interchange station, you are absolutely fine to plan a long journey with one or more Advance tickets.

You are also entitled to compensation in the same way you would be for delays with one through ticket - and the combined value of your tickets will be used as the basis of the compensation amount.

There is never a question of being out of pocket in either having to buy a new ticket if you miss your booked Advance train, or in terms of getting compensation other than on the basis of what you paid for your entire journey.
Thank you very much! This is very useful, and I had not even thought to look at the NRCoT before now.

maxbarnish

Happened to me this a couple of months ago travelling from London to Cranbrook in Devon. Train from Welling to Waterloo East cancelled due to a landslide - rail replacement bus got lost! Was meant to arrive into Waterloo East with half an hour to spare to make the 20 minute official connection to Waterloo, which frankly can be done in a couple of minutes. However, I missed my connection by 50 minutes! And it was last through of night. The next one was going part way - to Axminster only. So, we have here a Southeastern delay (itself caused by a Network Rail issue) causing a missed last connection of night on South Western Railway. SWR staff at Waterloo were not the most helpful and they have a reputation for this, but suggested I use help point at Axminster to sort things out, but gave a 'back on track' voucher. The SWR guard was far more proactive and by time I got to Axminster, a taxi was on its way - and had been charged to Southeastern via Control. In terms of the Delay Repay, I sent it to Southeastern and accepted with no issue - it should be the TOC on which the delay first occurs. I can see that sometimes there may be issues where multiple TOCs are involved especially with a missed connection on a different TOC's network - but these issues shouldn't occur, and I am sure most of the time it works out

hkstudent

Established Member
Happened to me this a couple of months ago travelling from London to Cranbrook in Devon. Train from Welling to Waterloo East cancelled due to a landslide - rail replacement bus got lost! Was meant to arrive into Waterloo East with half an hour to spare to make the 20 minute official connection to Waterloo, which frankly can be done in a couple of minutes. However, I missed my connection by 50 minutes! And it was last through of night. The next one was going part way - to Axminster only. So, we have here a Southeastern delay (itself caused by a Network Rail issue) causing a missed last connection of night on South Western Railway. SWR staff at Waterloo were not the most helpful and they have a reputation for this, but suggested I use help point at Axminster to sort things out, but gave a 'back on track' voucher. The SWR guard was far more proactive and by time I got to Axminster, a taxi was on its way - and had been charged to Southeastern via Control. In terms of the Delay Repay, I sent it to Southeastern and accepted with no issue - it should be the TOC on which the delay first occurs. I can see that sometimes there may be issues where multiple TOCs are involved especially with a missed connection on a different TOC's network - but these issues shouldn't occur, and I am sure most of the time it works out

Sad that you were delayed seriously on the rail replacement bus.
If I were you, it would be best to take bus 89 to Lewisham (which is much quicker, and free of charge with showing the ticket or just mention train cancelled [no matter you use an NR ticket or intend to use Oyster for rail journey], during that landslide week)
Anyway, lucky that you were helped very much by train guard and in my opinion, Waterloo staff can't help much as I doubt they have the capacity to arrange a taxi in Axminster

Status
Not open for further replies.