• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay. Is this a record payout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Well, I have been delayed again between Bolton and Urmston by just over 30 min's and claiming "Free Tickets" as I usually do. Filled the webform in and I've had a reply from Northern.
It says I am not included within the rules of the Delay Repay scheme as I was using a "Multi Modal" ticket and they have refused my claim.
The ticket I used was my Greater Manchester Concessionary Pass. This makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on when travelling as a second class citizen.

Email the complaints department, claiming you wish to claim under The Consumer Rights Act. If the delay was within their control, thenyou will receive your free tickets. It's a lengthy process, but when it does (eventually) pull through, it's definitely a relief.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
Email the complaints department, claiming you wish to claim under The Consumer Rights Act. If the delay was within their control, thenyou will receive your free tickets. It's a lengthy process, but when it does (eventually) pull through, it's definitely a relief.
I doubt the consumer rights act applies in situations where the passenger isn't a customer. When travelling for free passengers have no rights to compensation under any form of delay repay and the free tickets offered by Northern are nothing more than a commercial decision taken on the basis that the cost of issuing such tickets is likely to have a smaller impact on revenue than the amount that they would have to pay out under conventional delay repay in the majority of cases and are therefore only available in circumstances where the passenger would otherwise be entitled to delay compensation (which is never the case where the original entitlement to travel comes at no cost).

I didn't ask for monies and never would. The claim was for "Free Journey" as per Northern's rules to compensate for the delay caused to me.

I can assure you that Northern WILL give Tickets for delays when the journey was done on a free ticket. I have in the past used a "Delay" complimentary ticket to travel to Foxfield from Bolton. The return was delayed by over 2 hours and I received 2 Return Comp's for the delay. At this rate of Northern delays I may never need to buy a ticket again.

_toommm_

Established Member
I doubt the consumer rights act applies in situations where the passenger isn't a customer. When travelling for free passengers have no rights to compensation under any form of delay repay and the free tickets offered by Northern are nothing more than a commercial decision taken on the basis that the cost of issuing such tickets is likely to have a smaller impact on revenue than the amount that they would have to pay out under conventional delay repay in the majority of cases and are therefore only available in circumstances where the passenger would otherwise be entitled to delay compensation (which is never the case where the original entitlement to travel comes at no cost).

I'm not au fait with the CRA, and will never pretend to be. However, Northern have told people to do it before, and it has worked for me (albeit not on a free ticket). Going down the traditional delay repay route won't yield success, whereas the CRA route may.

gray1404

Established Member
Regardless if a passenger has paid a fare or not, if they have authority to travel then they are still customer of Northern and have no fewer rights then a customer paying a fare. The only difference is their delay repay entitlements are slightly different in that they can only really request "free tickets" as the compensation method. It is wrong that Northern refuse to pay out on PTE issued tickets. Even if a customer uses a concessionary travel pass, Northern will still receive revenue for carrying such passengers from either the PTE or local authority. It is therefore only right Northern compensate for delay to journeys to such passengers fairly.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'd hazard a guess at the entertainment value - the intent is there by virtue of it being shared online.
I think it's difficult to argue with this.

I've certainly been entertained by the content of this thread. I wouldn't have lodged the claim in question myself, though!

VT 390

Established Member
I received compensation of £0.03 today from Northern for a delay between Manchester and Bradford on a 10p ticket. It was actually done through automatic Delay Repay which is the first time it has actually worked for me, which is good because all other delays of over 30 minutes on Northern 10p tickets I got Free Tickets.

SteveM70

Established Member
Given that (afaik) Northern don't do automatic delay repay, would the OP care to comment on why they claimed a 3p refund?

I always did when it was arriva, and always requesting travel vouchers for 15-29 minute delays. Maximum cost and inconvenience for them, no inconvenience for me (other than 30 seconds to make the claim and occasional extended waits when the vouchers failed to scan)

sheff1

Established Member
Good way to help them improve service provision...
You would indeed think that an organisation which was spending money on paying and administering compensation claims, which they would not have to spend if they improved their service, would take steps to improve their service.

However, we are assured Delay Repay is a trivial cost to TOCs, so presumably they are not concerned as, unlike many businesses, customer transfer to an alternative provider is not a feasible option.

najaB

Veteran Member
However, we are assured Delay Repay is a trivial cost to TOCs...
It's not trivial, but neither does it break the bank. What doesn't help though is people making claims for the 'nuisance value'.

SteveM70

Established Member
Good way to help them improve service provision...

One way of looking at it is that it’s a deterrent to them and encourages service improvement

Personally, it’s my reaction to the constant aggravation, overcrowding, delays, shortforms, cancellations, lies and deceit of travelling with Northern. My commute is 21 minutes. Averaging every journey since Arriva took over, my average delay is 8.5 minutes. Or 40% if you look at it that way. It grinds you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.