• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay/Repay - Journies involving two train comapnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilipW

I fairly regularly travel from Fareham to Crewkerne using a through Off Peak Return ticket.

This involves two trains, the GWR Portsmouth to Cardiff service then, changing at Salisbury, the SWR Waterloo to Exeter service. Both services are hourly with an advertised connection time at Salisbury of 8 mins (xx.39 to xx.47). As this is fairly popular connection there is often a station announcement along the lines of “Will passengers for stations to Exeter please proceed to Platform 3 where their train will shortly be arriving”.

Normally everything goes fine, but on one journey the GWR trains was approx. 10 mins late leaving Fareham and maintained that delay to Salisbury. There I rushed across to Platform 3 but missed the connection by just 2 minutes and had to wait 58 mins. There were 14 of us that day, I counted, who came up and missed that connection. Speaking to a SWR member of staff, he said that the missed connection was not common but, on the other hand, it was not unusual, it did happen from time to time.

As my journey was now 1 hour late, I submitted a Delay/Repay request to GWR on my return home along with an accompanying letter explaining the circumstances in full, which acknowledged that their train was only 10 mins or so late.

My claim was rejected stating that their service was not late. The wording was so loose that it was not clear if they thought that their service was not late at all so I should have made the connection or that their service was not late enough to trigger a refund in its own right. I suspect that it was an automatic computerised response as there was no mention of my specific journey or any connection. I wrote back and appealed the decision but heard no more from GWR so I dropped it.

My question is: As it was my journey that was 60 mins rather than any train being late, am I even entitled to a refund ? I don’t know the answer to that.

Is the Delay/Repay applicable for a ‘late journey’ or just a ‘late train’ ? I hope it is the former. If it is just the latter, then I think it would affect a lot of travel across the country. In that light the Repay scheme would not be as comprehensive as the government and train companies would sometimes like us to believe.

If the scheme does indeed apply to ‘late journies’ could anyone advise on what tact I should use with GWR. They seem unreceptive to cases like mine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I fairly regularly travel from Fareham to Crewkerne using a through Off Peak Return ticket.

This involves two trains, the GWR Portsmouth to Cardiff service then, changing at Salisbury, the SWR Waterloo to Exeter service. Both services are hourly with an advertised connection time at Salisbury of 8 mins (xx.39 to xx.47). As this is fairly popular connection there is often a station announcement along the lines of “Will passengers for stations to Exeter please proceed to Platform 3 where their train will shortly be arriving”.

Normally everything goes fine, but on one journey the GWR trains was approx. 10 mins late leaving Fareham and maintained that delay to Salisbury. There I rushed across to Platform 3 but missed the connection by just 2 minutes and had to wait 58 mins. There were 14 of us that day, I counted, who came up and missed that connection. Speaking to a SWR member of staff, he said that the missed connection was not common but, on the other hand, it was not unusual, it did happen from time to time.

As my journey was now 1 hour late, I submitted a Delay/Repay request to GWR on my return home along with an accompanying letter explaining the circumstances in full, which acknowledged that their train was only 10 mins or so late.

My claim was rejected stating that their service was not late. The wording was so loose that it was not clear if they thought that their service was not late at all so I should have made the connection or that their service was not late enough to trigger a refund in its own right. I suspect that it was an automatic computerised response as there was no mention of my specific journey or any connection. I wrote back and appealed the decision but heard no more from GWR so I dropped it.

My question is: As it was my journey that was 60 mins rather than any train being late, am I even entitled to a refund ? I don’t know the answer to that.

Is the Delay/Repay applicable for a ‘late journey’ or just a ‘late train’ ? I hope it is the former. If it is just the latter, then I think it would affect a lot of travel across the country. In that light the Repay scheme would not be as comprehensive as the government and train companies would sometimes like us to believe.

If the scheme does indeed apply to ‘late journies’ could anyone advise on what tact I should use with GWR. They seem unreceptive to cases like mine.
You are entitled to delay compensation from GWR as it was their train which caused your journey to be delayed by 60+ minutes (assuming the delay was, presumably, not due to something outside the control of the rail industry such as a fatality?)

It has nothing to do with SWR.

If GWR refuse to compensate you, refer the matter to Transport Focus.

PhilipW

Thank you for that. I am glad to hear that from someone who knows. I do this journey often so the situation may well happen again.

Yes, I fully appreciate that it has nothing to do with SWR. My claim needs to be submitted to GWR.

Again, Thank You

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Also, if they reject your claim, you should be aware that it is not just a customer service matter for them to be compensating you - as long as the delay was not 'entirely outside the control of the rail industry' then it is their undeniable legal obligation to pay compensation equivalent to at least 25% of the face value of the ticket, under Condition 33 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel.

robbeech

Established Member
How long ago was this delayed journey and how long ago was your last contact with them. Providing your initial claim was put in on time then there isn’t a time limit for further appeals although it would be sensible to put your own limit on it. If this was in the last couple of months there is nothing to stop you following it up, particularly if you wrote back and have had no reply. If on the other hand this was several months ago now then it may be easier all round to ignore matters but remember for future reference.

It is also worth noting that if your first train had missed the connection and the second train (already 60 minutes later) was subsequently delayed en route by another 60 minutes then you’d be entitled to compensation at 2 hours from the first TOC even if the second delay was not their responsibility. The grounding for this is that had their service not been delayed you’d have made your original connection and would not have been subjected to the additional delay. This is a scenario that a few TOCs treat differently.

londonbridge

Established Member
You are entitled to delay compensation from GWR as it was their train which caused your journey to be delayed by 60+ minutes (assuming the delay was, presumably, not due to something outside the control of the rail industry such as a fatality?)

It has nothing to do with SWR.

If GWR refuse to compensate you, refer the matter to Transport Focus.

Completely agree, I made a journey from Croydon to Tunbridge Wells, outbound the Southern train was delayed and I missed the Southeastern connection at Tonbridge. On the return Southeastern were on time but the Southern train from Tonbridge was cancelled. Southern paid out for both delays as they were the cause.

PhilipW

How long ago was this delayed journey and how long ago was your last contact with them. Providing your initial claim was put in on time then there isn’t a time limit for further appeals although it would be sensible to put your own limit on it. If this was in the last couple of months there is nothing to stop you following it up, particularly if you wrote back and have had no reply. If on the other hand this was several months ago now then it may be easier all round to ignore matters but remember for future reference.

Thanks. The journey was last summer. I've put it behind me now as I have not kept all the correspondence.

I do make this journey reasonably regularly so will certainly be on the ball if it happens again, especlally now that I know from the support here that the compensation is judged on the lateness of the full journey rather than a particular train.

Status
Not open for further replies.