• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay - late at BoJ points but not destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I was wondering whether I would be eligible for any compensation from Northern for this delayed journey? My intended journey was -

Early morning train from Liverpool to Manchester Piccadilly,
Hope valley stopper to Hathersage and break journey there for 2 hours,
take the next Hope valley stopper to Sheffield,
Sheffield to Rotherham and break journey there to spend afternoon and evening with family,
late evening train to my ultimate destination, Wakefield.

The Liverpool to Manchester Northern service was 25 minutes late so I missed the connection onto the Hope valley stopper that only runs every 2 hours. As a result I was 2 hours behind schedule at my two break-of-journey points and had 2 hours less time in Rotherham than I had planned. I wasn't later than planned at my destination however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You are entitled to compensation if your journey was delayed by more than the threshold.

I would say that you were making three separate journeys; the first of which was delayed by the Railway, and the other two by your choice to take a later train. I am of the opinion that you can claim for your delay to your Liverpool-Hathersage journey.

What ticket(s) did you have? I've no idea how Northern would calculate Delay Repay on a "short" journey, but you may well get a free ticket. Possibly after some explaining that you were not doing Liverpool-Wakefield (which for the sake of argument I'm assuming wouldn't have been delayed had you taken the next available services).

lyndhurst25

Established Member
The ticket was a Liverpool to Wakefield off-peak return. I think that I will put in a claim and see what Northern say. My feeling is that I should be entitled to something but exactly what I'm not sure.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There is no harm in applying, but I would not be surprised if the company came up with an itinerary that you could have followed to arrive at Wakefield within such a time as to allow them to decline.

gray1404

Established Member
I would be of the view that you were simply using a ticket that allows break of journey on the outward portion. And for all intense and purposes you could have been finishing short on a again, again this is allowed on the ticket you held (such as if you had decided not to continue to Wakefield once you got to Hathersage).

So, you were making some separate journeys and you were delayed by over 2 hours on that journey which you were making from Liverpool to Hathersage. I would therefore expect to be entitled to compensation for a delay of 120+ minutes of Compensation of two return tickets anywhere on the Northern network, or 100% of the cost of your return ticket. It is not for Northern to tell you that you could have got to Wakefield earlier because you were not making a journey to Wakefield at that time. Your destination on the delayed journey was Hathersage. Further travel made on the ticket is not important as that would constitute a separate journey as a break of journey had occurred.

I would start by filling out the simple delay repay form at https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/corporate/compensation-information/delay-repay-application stating your stations as Liverpool and Hathersage respectively. Then just enter the cost of the ticket you actually traveled on and upload a scan of it.

najaB

Veteran Member
I was wondering whether I would be eligible for any compensation from Northern for this delayed journey?
It's an interesting one. I think you would only be able to claim the two-hour delay on the Liverpool to Hathersage journey as you'll have difficulty trying to claim twice for the same ticket.

gray1404

Established Member
And "strictly" speaking delay repay can never exceed the cost of the ticket. i.e. they've been delayed 2 hours on a return ticket. So its compensation to the full value of the ticket and no further compensation even if further delays occur (i.e. on return leg or when outward travel is resumed following a BoJ).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's an interesting one. I think you would only be able to claim the two-hour delay on the Liverpool to Hathersage journey as you'll have difficulty trying to claim twice for the same ticket.

I think that while it isn't written anywhere that this is the case, morally (and in the eyes of the TOCs) any compensation is limited to the value of the ticket in total, i.e. the TOC won't pay out more than you've paid in.

Status
Not open for further replies.