• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay - Multiple operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Yesterday I was traveling back on the return portion of a Thetford - Newcastle Anytime return.

I initially aimed to catch the 1324 from Thetford to Peterborough and then the 1516 from Peterbrough to Newcastle (arr 1740).

However...

The 1324 from Thetford - Peterborough was cancelled. However, I was able to get a late running Greater Anglia train to Ely, and then change into an XC service to Peterborough. I therefore arrived in Peterborough at 1454.

However, the next service to Newcastle was cancelled, and therefore the next service was the 1617 which arrived around 15 minutes late and arrived into Newcastle 29 minutes down at 1910.

Therefore my overall journey was delayed by 90 mintues (exactly). My question is, given there were delays by both EMT and VTEC who should I claim delay repay from and how would I go about it?

Apologies for the long winded post - Cheers :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You should claim from East Midlands Trains, as it is they who initially caused you to be delayed by cancelling their train.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought it was that you claimed from whoever caused the first delay/cancellation...
Agreed. But, by the sound of it, the OP arrived into Peterborough in time for the originally planned service, so the first train being cancelled made no material difference on this occasion.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Agreed. But, by the sound of it, the OP arrived into Peterborough in time for the originally planned service, so the first train being cancelled made no material difference on this occasion.
Makes sense.

I'd go with bb21's advice then.

SeanG

Yes that's right. In fact I caught an earlier train from Thetford than planned.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just to clarify, my advice follows a previous claim I rejected and the approach confirmed by RDG.

Claiming from VTEC in this case would be both morally correct and the most practical approach, for the reasons yorkie gave. If you make an intermediate connection as booked, then compensation should not be claimed against a delay prior to that.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I wouldn't mention the EMT leg being cancelled when writing to VTEC, to avoid having them misinterpret it (like I did! ;))

Just that the cancellation of the 1516 and subsequent delay to the 1616 resulted in a delay of 90 minutes.

SeanG

I wouldn't mention the EMT leg being cancelled when writing to VTEC, to avoid having them misinterpret it (like I did! ;))

Just that the cancellation of the 1516 and subsequent delay to the 1616 resulted in a delay of 90 minutes.

Cheers all for the advice.
I have submitted online to vtec so will see the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.