• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay on Split Tickets with LNER

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabusser

Hi all,

I travelled from Deal to Edinburgh a few weeks ago. Two tickets, both Advances, Deal to St Pancras (SouthEastern) and Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley (LNER). The itinerary was a valid one, and exactly the same connection as if I’d bought a through ticket. I also bid for and won a SeatFrog upgrade from London to Edinburgh.

The London to Edinburgh leg was delayed just over an hour. As there were multiple tickets and an upgrade, I emailed LNER rather than use the online form. I included all the evidence of tickets, what I believe I’m due and my account number/sort code. I had got an automatic email offering one-click Delay Repay, but didn’t click it due to the multiple tickets and SeatFrog.

I got a reply stating that they’d send me £40 of Rail Vouchers for the SeatFrog part. I didn’t want vouchers, but it’s fine, I’ll use them.

The email contained a sentence that doesn’t make sense about automatic delay repay and nothing about the Deal to London leg

I have looked in to this for you and can see that automatic delay repay for the journey. I have also refunded £40.00 for the seatfrog upgrade. You will receive Rail travel vouchers though the post.

I replied asking to clarify what that sentence about automatic delay repay meant. I guessed it meant I should claim that, but didn’t want any risk of being accused of claiming it twice!

There was no reply until I DM’ed LNER on Twitter, who told me the claim had been marked as resolved, but re-opened it.

I’ve now had another email asking for evidence of the original tickets (despite already providing this) and telling me to contact SoutherEastern about the Deal to London leg (despite their train being on time).

In order for us to investigate your case further, could you please send in full proof of the ticket that was delayed clearly stating price so we can refund this and as for the Deal to London Terminals tickets you would need to get in touch with SouthEastern railway as they are responsible for those tickets. I look forward to your response.

Two quick questions:

1) am I definitely entitled to Delay Repay on both separate tickets that comprised the one journey?

2) If so, am I likely have to go via the Onbudsman? Or is there some way to get someone at LNER who knows what they’re doing to resolve this?

3) What could or should I have done differently to avoid all this faff?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
This is one for a senior expert I think. One area of interest could be whether the walking connection St Pancras to Kings Cross has any impact on this being a through journey, given previous discussion about itineraries with a gap.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is one for a senior expert I think. One area of interest could be whether the walking connection St Pancras to Kings Cross has any impact on this being a through journey, given previous discussion about itineraries with a gap.
That would be relevant to the planned itinerary, against which the total delay should be assessed.

island

Veteran Member
It’s a valid connection as long as the requisite 31 minutes are allowed, so this would not in and of itself disqualify a claim.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I got a reply stating that they’d send me £40 of Rail Vouchers for the SeatFrog part. I didn’t want vouchers, but it’s fine, I’ll use them.

The email contained a sentence that doesn’t make sense about automatic delay repay and nothing about the Deal to London leg

I replied asking to clarify what that sentence about automatic delay repay meant. I guessed it meant I should claim that, but didn’t want any risk of being accused of claiming it twice!
Are you sure LNER haven't in any case processed automatic delay repay for your Advance ticket? Have you checked your bank statement?

Two quick questions:

1) am I definitely entitled to Delay Repay on both separate tickets that comprised the one journey?
Yes, if you allowed the correct minimum connection time. Which trains did you take and on which date?

megabusser

Are you sure LNER haven't in any case processed automatic delay repay for your Advance ticket? Have you checked your bank statement?

Yes, if you allowed the correct minimum connection time. Which trains did you take and on which date?
Just double-checked - definitely not already refunded

11:31 Deal To St Pancras
13:30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

25 April

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Just double-checked - definitely not already refunded

11:31 Deal To St Pancras
13:30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley

25 April
It's a valid itinerary and a valid claim.

I would email them back and just say you've not had any automatic delay repay, and that you chose not to for the same reason you outlined in their initial correspondence, and could they please pay out as previously asked.

megabusser

Thanks - I thought as much, but then started doubting myself.

I’ve asked them to make full payment or send a deadlock letter if they’re unwilling to. Fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a valid claim.

LNER are talking nonsense.

In future, consider using a split ticket website; there are sites that will calculate the cheapest combination of fares (with a high accuracy rate) and also offer you seat reservations from a seat selector; you will then get a single PDF (where e-tickets are available, which should be the case here) which makes claiming really easy. You also have evidence of a through itinerary that was valid at the time of purchase (if trains are re-timed it can be difficult to prove this retrospectively). It can save a lot of time and hassle to do this, so worth bearing in mind for future journeys.

megabusser

I generally do use a splitting site, but didn’t in this case as the Advance tickets for each TOC went on sale at different times. The Deal - London Advance wasn’t on sale when I bought London - Edinburgh.

Besides threatening the Ombudsman, is there any way to get someone at LNER who knows what they’re doing to have a look?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I generally do use a splitting site, but didn’t in this case as the Advance tickets for each TOC went on sale at different times. The Deal - London Advance wasn’t on sale when I bought London - Edinburgh.
Ah, I see.
Besides threatening the Ombudsman, is there any way to get someone at LNER who knows what they’re doing to have a look?
If you send me a conversation message with the booking reference, I'll send it over to someone at LNER who knows their stuff (different department but they may be able to pass it on)

Status
Not open for further replies.