Delay repay query - Rhyl to Chester

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Saperstein, 2 Jun 2019.

1. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Hi,

I travelled from Rhyl to Chester today on this service:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P76322/2019/06/02/advanced

1H87 1430 Holyhead to Manchester Piccadilly
    Transport for Wales service

The train was delayed at Holyhead due to a fault on the unit (class 175) And arrived at Rhyl at 1611 and I stepped onto the platform at Chester at 1649.

I am struggling to work out if I can claim delay repay from TFW and Howe much is due, i.e. is it worth it?

The ticket used was the return part of the ticket. The whole ticket cost £13.05 it was off-peak return with disabled rail card.

Also was the ticket technically valid as I had a reservation for an earlier service which I missed (not the railway fault).

Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yes you can claim.

As your ticket cost £13.05, each leg is worth (roughly) £6.50; I am unsure what rounding should occur.

For a delay of 15 minutes, you are looking at a quarter of the cost of the relevant leg, so something between £1.60 - £1.65 depending on any rounding that may occur.

If you want to claim, here is the form: https://delayrepay.tfwrail.wales/index.cfm?action=myclaims.add

The Off Peak Return (SVR) is valid on any train within the validity period, so your ticket was valid on that train.

(* That said, RTVs can be useful as an insurance polin certain situations, so maybe I would... but more for the value of having an RTV as an insurance policy in case of accusations when machines are broken, rather than the actual value of the ticket)

4. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Thanks @yorkie. I’ll probably do it anyway for the vouchers they all add up.

5. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

For reference, TFW will tell you how much you can claim here:-
    https://tfwrail.wales/delay-compensation

They can pay directly to bank account, but they seem to have made the actual delay repay form as time-consuming as possible to fill out.

(And, just because it irritates me, their javascript code specifically checks for a leading zero in the pence field and reports it as an error - who thinks that's a useful thing to do? )

6. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Thanks,

I just got round to doing the form today, all done now and submitted but I couldn’t get the calculator on the link above to work, I kept getting the error “please set price” perhaps because of the JavaScript issue you mentioned.

7. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Hi, duly received my rail voucher for £1.63 during the week, they all add up ;)