• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb

Yesterday I tried to catch the 18:33 from EUS->RUG using my season ticket but due to the unfortunate incident at milton keynes it was cancelled as were all the other trains around that time.

As it was unclear how long the delay would be I went for a long walk and got food and got back to the station and eventually got the 21:10 to rugby.

What, if anything can I claim on delay repay for this?
My arrival at rugby was more that 2 and a half hours late. However I'm fairly sure the trains were running before I got back to euston so much of that was my fault.

However even if I'd have waited in the packed station and got the first train I'm sure my delay would have been at least an hour.

So basically, what can I claim for, if anything?

I ask because the web-form asks me to enter my delay time and there is no space to explain the situation, and I don't want to claim what I'm not entitled to.

Is there are rule for this, or should I just ask at the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would use the Postal claim form, as you can add comments explaining the situation and enclosing a photocopy of your season ticket.

That said, the earliest I can see that you could have gotten to Rugby is 20:34 (on the 19:55 departure), which is over 1 hour later than when you were expecting to arrive at 19:34, so I would claim. It's possible I missed an itinerary that go you there faster though.

Last edited:

baza585

I was unfortunate enough to be delayed by 3 hours on a Pompey to Bath service last Friday afternoon/evening. Delay was caused by fallen trees and as far as I know there was nothing the TOC (FGW) could have done about it. Be interested whether folk feel it is worth submitting a claim or will they just blame the weather (which was extreme!!) and say it is not covered.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Delays as a result of events beyond the control of the railway industry does not automatically give you compensation, but I have never been refused by FGW for this reason, so it is worth giving it a try.

user15681

Established Member
To add to what bb21 has said, I'd say there are a few instances when the TOC is not obliged to give you some form of compensation for a delay, such as vandalism or bad weather. However, I've had no trouble either.

Sometimes, TOCs will even give more compensation than that set out under Delay Repay for extended periods of disruption, too. Southern, for example, are offering a gesture of thanks to people with season tickets for their patience with the Oxted landslip, which was caused by the weather, so you should have no problem.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Sometimes, TOCs will even give more compensation than that set out under Delay Repay for extended periods of disruption, too. Southern, for example, are offering a gesture of thanks to people with season tickets for their patience with the Oxted landslip, which was caused by the weather, so you should have no problem.

Its an interesting one the Oxted compensation. Southerns passenger charter states that their delay repay will pay out when you are delayed more than 30 minutes irrespective of the reason. There is no omission for weather etc. Therefore they should be paying out under the delay repay rules.

However I assume they are not because an alternative timetable was loaded and you would only get compensation if journeys on that alternative were delayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.