• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay to charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldave

Established Member
I've had a couple of Thameslink meltdowns recently that entitled me to delay repay. But as the journey was a relatively cheap one on Oyster it didn't seem worth the effort to claim just over £1. However, I saw on Thameslink's delay repay page that you can donate your refund to one of their nominated charities. So I submitted a claim with an Oyster journey history screenshot and it was approved. For a couple of minutes work, the charity is a little bit better off. If everyone could do the same for their "not worth claiming " amounts, it would soon add up.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've had a couple of Thameslink meltdowns recently that entitled me to delay repay. But as the journey was a relatively cheap one on Oyster it didn't seem worth the effort to claim just over £1. However, I saw on Thameslink's delay repay page that you can donate your refund to one of their nominated charities. So I submitted a claim with an Oyster journey history screenshot and it was approved. For a couple of minutes work, the charity is a little bit better off. If everyone could do the same for their "not worth claiming " amounts, it would soon add up.....
Some other TOCs also allow this.

sheff1

Established Member
A good idea in theory, but I would not trust some TOCs to actually make the donation - that being based on their Delay Repay teams lying to me on many occasions. I will stick with getting the money and making my own donations to charities.

1955LR

A good idea in theory, but I would not trust some TOCs to actually make the donation - that being based on their Delay Repay teams lying to me on many occasions. I will stick with getting the money and making my own donations to charities.
If you take the money then donate it to a charity they would be able to claim the tax back if you gift aid it. Not sure if that would be the case if the TOC passed it on

robbeech

Established Member
I think if they approve the claim (clearly there is an industry wide issue with operators rejecting valid claims but that isn't the topic here) and you select the charity then they'll donate it. If you have genuine reason to suspect they're not doing then we definitely need to know about it so it can be dealt with.

I will always donate mine to charity if i'm delayed because of a fatality.

paddington

A large single donation presumably by BACS is cheaper for a charity to process than hundreds of £1 card payments or coins.

However if it isn't worth the time to claim £1, then it would seem better to just donate £1 of your own money rather than wasting time on a claim even if the TOC gets to keep that £1.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you make the donation yourself then the charity can claim Gift Aid, which adds 25% to the value of the donation.

Not sure if the charity can claim this for a corporate donation?

ta-toget

If you take the money then donate it to a charity they would be able to claim the tax back if you gift aid it. Not sure if that would be the case if the TOC passed it on

If you make the donation yourself then the charity can claim Gift Aid, which adds 25% to the value of the donation.
Not sure if the charity can claim this for a corporate donation?
I believe that Gift Aid is available for companies, though I am not sure if it works in exactly the same way as for individuals.
See GOV.UK's Gift Aid guidance for more information (quoted below).
GOV.UK said:
3.11.1 Companies (and unincorporated associations) can claim tax relief for qualifying donations paid to charities (bodies or trusts accepted as charities for UK tax purposes). New rules introduced in Finance Act 2014 s.35 and taking effect from 1 April 2014 mean that sports clubs registered with HMRC as a CASC can also take advantage of this tax relief. Generally, relief for Gift Aid donations is available in the accounting period during which the donation is made, but there are special rules for companies wholly owned by charities.

3.11.2 Gift Aid donations made to charities and CASCs by companies are paid gross and so, unlike the individual Gift Aid Scheme, no tax is repayable to charities or CASCs. For a charity or CASC the donation is treated as potentially taxable income, but is exempt from tax provided the donation is applied for charitable purposes by a charity or qualifying purposes by a CASC.

3.11.3 Charities and CASCs receiving Gift Aid donations from companies should keep accurate accounting records of company donations received, so that they can identify these in their accounts and include them on their tax return.

35B

Established Member
I believe that Gift Aid is available for companies, though I am not sure if it works in exactly the same way as for individuals.
See GOV.UK's Gift Aid guidance for more information (quoted below).
The important difference is for the charity, which can’t get the uplift on the donation. If I give £10 to a charity with Gift Aid, it will get £12.50; the same amount from a company will be tax deductible so the upside will be to the company.

sheff1

Established Member
The important difference is for the charity, which can’t get the uplift on the donation. If I give £10 to a charity with Gift Aid, it will get £12.50; the same amount from a company will be tax deductible so the upside will be to the company.

Thanks for that. An even better reason to claim and then make your own donation to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.