• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay voucher refusal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meole

I was surprised a conductor refused to accept a delay voucher issued by his TOC when I boarded at a small station with no office or machine, he said policy was only at a ticket office which rather restricts their use at stops with only a machine or no facilities at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Rail Travel Vouchers are valid for payment at any station regardless of whether or not it has a ticket office. This is because they say on the reverse that they are valid for travel at "any station". If there are no facilities at the station that can issue you a ticket using the RTV, you're entitled to board the train and pay for your ticket using the RTV at the first opportunity.

The conductor was in the wrong here. You should contact the relevant TOC's customer services to make a complaint, with a view to obtaining an apology and the conductor being retrained on the correct use of RTVs.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've had a Rail Travel Voucher accepted as part payment on board a train in the past, think this was for excessing a super off-peak ticket to off-peak.

Is the issue maybe that they are a bit of a faff for the conductor when cashing up at the end of their shift?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was surprised a conductor refused to accept a delay voucher issued by his TOC when I boarded at a small station with no office or machine, he said policy was only at a ticket office which rather restricts their use at stops with only a machine or no facilities at all.
It's a valid payment method.

The conductor can either accept it, or they can choose not to do so and allow you to pay at the next available opportunity (which may be at an interchange station if time permits, or on the next train, or at your destination).

If there is no further opportunity, then that's not your problem.

Which TOC was this?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What a surprise! They are fast gaining a reputation with their 'restrictions' on travel in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.