• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay with an SY Travelmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

talltim

Established Member
I put in my first ever delay repay claim just before Christmas, with Northern. I was travelling from Meadowhall to Sheffield and the train arrived in Sheffield 15.5 minutes late according to RTR.
In theory a simple claim, but I was using an annual SY Travelmaster ticket. On the Northern form I put it as a smart card and the format of the smart card number fitted.
What’s the chance I will get it paid, and how much would I get if it does?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure what your chances are. Northern are required to pay compensation but they may refuse to do so.

If they do refuse, there are various options open to you, such as referring the matter to the Rail Ombudsman

Some people have been successful recently, despite Northern previously stating an apparent intention to act unlawfully.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-to-compensate-on-multi-modal-tickets.173787/
Received an email from Northern today advising they are posting out a free journey voucher in relation to a 40 minute delay I experienced when one of their trains broke down. I was travelling on an MCard and asked for the voucher as compensation under the Consumer Rights Act. Was surprisingly straightforward!

talltim

Established Member
I’m not that bothered, just thought it was worth giving Northern some more work to do to make up for their crap service. I did have a read through the thread Yorkie linked while I was on the train, but I missed the bit about multi modal tickets on the Northern delay repay page.
What interested me was the bit about reading the terms for the Travelmaster. I’ve had one for 17 years and never read them as I’ve not ever actually paid money because I get it free from work. (Their terms say nothing either way)

island

Veteran Member
Yes, whilst Northern does not offer DelayRepay and you can’t claim it under the NRCoT for a delay under an hour, you may still have the right to claim a price reduction or repeat performance of the service under the Consumer Rights Act if you can prove that the service was not performed with reasonable care and skill.

How easy or successful such a claim would be, I cannot say. I have not yet heard of anyone obtaining a satisfactory outcome in your circumstances from the Rail Ombudsman; indeed, in one of its case studies on its website, it refused such a claim because “the consumer had... not incurred additional expense”.

As per the link above, you may get a successful outcome in terms of a free ticket anyway. You have nothing to lose by putting in a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.