• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay with split tickets and multiple TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panceltic

Hello,

I would appreciate some advice on the following situation, the journey took place today:

Planned journey:

Dep. Aberystwyth 09:30
Arr. Shrewsbury 11:20

Dep. Shrewsbury 11:59
Arr. Manchester Piccadilly 13:13

Dep. Manchester Piccadilly 13:34
Arr. York 15:05

Actual journey:

Dep. Aberystwyth 09:30
Arr. Shrewsbury 13:01
(The train was cancelled en route, returned to Aberystwyth and a rail replacement bus provided. Missed the 12:58 Shrewsbury to Manchester)

Dep. Shrewsbury 13:58 (actual dep. time 14:02)
Arr. Manchester Piccadilly 15:13 (actual arr. time 15:12)

Dep. Manchester Piccadilly 15:34 (actual dep. time 15:39)
Arr. York 17:05 (actual arr. time 17:30)

The total delay to my journey was 2 hours and 25 minutes.

Tickets held (with 16-25 Railcard):

Aberystwyth - Shrewsbury Advance Single £6.60
Shrewsbury - Stockport Advance Single £6.60
Stockport - Manchester Pic Off-Peak Day Single £1.60
Manchester Stns - York Off-Peak Return £20.75
(I have other single tickets for the identical return journey to be made on Sunday.)

I believe I should claim from TfW because it was where the initial disruption occurred, even though the TPE leg was delayed by 25 minutes as well.

I am a bit lost as to how much compensation is due however, because of the combination of tickets used. I think £35.55 is in order, is anyone able to confirm this?

What is the best way to submit a claim with multiple tickets online? TfW website seems to only allow a single ticket's details to be entered. Any way around this?

Thank you very much i advance for any insight you may be able to provide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You claim from TfW as they caused the delay to your journey and you may use more than one ticket to make a journey.

When submitting the claim I'd take one photo of all the tickets and upload this
You can only enter one set of ticket details so just enter the ones for the ticket on which the delay occurred
Add the price of the tickets together and use this for the price.

robbeech

Established Member
You should claim with TFW for the full amount. Explain your proposed and actual journey clearly (like you have done above). Include all tickets (photos or screen shots or a combination). You are eligible for 100% of the value of all tickets so your calculation is correct.
You may benefit from e-mailing them rather than using an online form, you'll likely incur a delay but stand a better chance of the correct result.

i EXPECT that they'll refund you £6.60 and try to fob you off suggesting it is the risk of splitting tickets which is incorrect leaving you no option but to appeal and escalate as necessary but i hope to be pleasantly surprised.

sheff1

Established Member
As an aside - if the Advance prices were the same for the return journey, you paid £71.10 in total. A through OffPeak Return Aberystwyth-York is £73.25. Booking a through ticket would make any Delay Repay claim more straightforward and, even better, the whole £73.25 would have been paid back for a 2hr + delay, even if the return journey is completely on time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The rules are very clear that TfW should pay the full cost of that leg for the whole journey to York.

Panceltic

Thanks for your answers everyone!

When submitting the claim I'd take one photo of all the tickets and upload this

A good idea, thanks. I have a photo of all of them so this won't be an issue.

i EXPECT that they'll refund you £6.60 and try to fob you off suggesting it is the risk of splitting tickets which is incorrect leaving you no option but to appeal and escalate as necessary but i hope to be pleasantly surprised.

To be fair to TfW, I have good experience with their Delay Repay process, but admittedly it was always for journeys exclusively on their trains. I'm interested to see how they will handle this!

As an aside - if the Advance prices were the same for the return journey, you paid £71.10 in total. A through OffPeak Return Aberystwyth-York is £73.25.

Not quite, the total came to £49.35 because the Manchester-York ticket is an off-peak return. Splitting the ticket saved me about 33%!

The rules are very clear that TfW should pay the full cost of that leg for the whole journey to York.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Thank you all again, I will post an update when TfW reply to my claim.

Panceltic

Hello again,

I have just received a message from TfW confirming a refund of £35.55 which is fantastic! Although it took them almost a month, I appreciate they have a big workload in the current circumstances.

1955LR

I have found TFW very good to the extent of paying consequential loss ( Taxi) when a delay made me miss the last bus of the day to home and took a Taxi

Status
Not open for further replies.