• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay with split tickets: what am I entitled to claim for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulb

Hello all

I and two others travelled from Luton Airport Parkway (one from Kings Cross, not LTN) to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on Monday 30th October on split tickets (all 1st class singles, some advances) and were delayed by cows on the line on the train to STP and vandalism on the DON - SHF line, arriving at our destination over two hours late. The intinerary and actual times were as follows:

Luton Airport Parkway 0932 0948
St Pancras 0956 1014

Kings Cross 1135 1135
Doncaster 1313 1324

Doncaster 1342 1400
Sheffield 1500 rail
replacement
Sheffield 1515 coach
Manchester Piccadilly 1503 1618

Manchester Piccadilly 1515 1715
Preston 1557 1758

Preston 1642 1849
Blackpool Pleasure Beach 1715 1922

The tickets bought (all with DSB railcards) were:

FDS LTN - STP £15.05 x2
1st ADV KGX - DON £19.50 x3
1st ADV DON - BPB £20.20 x3

Do I claim on the whole journey, or just the DON - BPB part, as we were right time departing KGX? If the whole journey, do I claim from EMT or TPE as both were delayed, or just TPE?

Many thanks,

Lightbulb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1B85

The combination of tickets counts as a complete journey for delay repay purposes. I'd be claiming for the full amount paid.

lightbulb

Thanks. Do I claim from EMT or TPE? I've looked at TPE's leaflet, and there's no space to list the delayed trains or to explain the rail replacement coach. Do they need these details? The leaflet also asks for the tickets to be attached, but there's no practical way to do so, as there are so many. Should I put them in an envelope instead?

1B85

From the train company whose train was delayed.

Can write them a letter and enclose tickets if you want, but there's not always a freepost address - I've always found dropping their customer services an email with an explanation and attaching an image of the tickets works just as well.

Just a heads up - I've seen TPE in the past turn down delay repay claims where they say they are not responsible for their trains not running to time, which includes suicides, vandalism and trespassers (human or animal).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What I usually do is attach all the tickets to a piece of paper and write the intended itinerary alongside with the actual times alongside, take a photo of it and upload it as part of the online claim. It's never failed (apart from one train operating company who claim that split tickets do not count for delay repay purposes but that's currently being escalated)

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's not clear from the opening post what trains you were booked on and which ones you actually travelled on. But if I am reading it correctly any missed connections and delays didn't commence until you were in the hands of TPE. That being the case it is them you should claim from.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just a heads up - I've seen TPE in the past turn down delay repay claims where they say they are not responsible for their trains not running to time, which includes suicides, vandalism and trespassers (human or animal).
TPE only moved onto Delay Repay in April. Before that they were entitled to turn down claims due to external causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.