• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed at Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up. Currently on the 1400 Virgin service from Glasgow to Euston. Train delayed at Carlisle due to a broken windscreen wiper. Weather up here is pretty poor so this must be a real issue for the driver.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a heads up. Currently on the 1400 Virgin service from Glasgow to Euston. Train delayed at Carlisle due to a broken windscreen wiper. Weather up here is pretty poor so this must be a real issue for the driver.

Train terminating at Carlisle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
I am sure some will moan and ask why something so "trivial" can cause the early termination of a service... :)

Zoidberg

Established Member
Why is a service terminated for something as trivial? :)

Could the driver not have pinched the wiper from the other end?

TheGrew

I guess there isn't anywhere obvious to reverse the set without a loco. Time to put DRS on speedial :D

Zoidberg

Established Member
Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
I guess there isn't anywhere obvious to reverse the set without a loco. Time to put DRS on speedial :D

Are there still reversal options at Carlisle?

Citadel - Currock Junction - (the delightfully named) Bog Junction - Upperby Junction - Upperby Bridge Junction ?

Appreciate it's not wired.

Or Citadel - London Road Junction - Upperby Bridge Junction ?

Ditto - and the bit via the Wagon Repairs GF might be iffy for a passenger move!

harz99

I suppose if it was a double Voyager and there was a spare driver it could be split/shunted and reformed so that the affected cab was in the middle, but a fair amount of faffing about.

Zoidberg

Established Member
It seems to be running forward from Crewe non-stop to Milton Keynes then to Euston.

I hope that if anyone got kicked off at Carlisle (terminating at Carlisle is mentioned in the original post), they manage to complete their journey sooner than they would have if they stayed on the train.

EDIT. Or maybe not ... the info presented in Realtime Trains is confusing me. It seems to have made up 50 or so minutes ... maybe it's that reindeer train and it flew.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
If it was a wiper fault on say the leading class 153 of a formation of two 153's if the infrastructure allowed you could run it round to "box in" the defective end.

Of course it depends on the location and type / formation of the train.

Trains arriving at Plymouth are sometimes run round the Laira triangle if there is a fault that will affect the onward journey.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Are there still reversal options at Carlisle?
Citadel - Currock Junction - (the delightfully named) Bog Junction - Upperby Junction - Upperby Bridge Junction ?
Appreciate it's not wired.
Or Citadel - London Road Junction - Upperby Bridge Junction ?
Ditto - and the bit via the Wagon Repairs GF might be iffy for a passenger move!

I think the nearest place to Carlisle to reverse a Pendolino set is Carstairs.
Southwards you'd have to go to Parkside/Lowton/NLW.

IanD

Established Member
It seems to be running forward from Crewe non-stop to Milton Keynes then to Euston.

I hope that if anyone got kicked off at Carlisle (terminating at Carlisle is mentioned in the original post), they manage to complete their journey sooner than they would have if they stayed on the train.

EDIT. Or maybe not ... the info presented in Realtime Trains is confusing me. It seems to have made up 50 or so minutes ... maybe it's that reindeer train and it flew.

Missed out Birmingham. Only 9 or 10 down in the end. I'd be gutted to not get my delay repay on this service!

I suppose if it was a double Voyager and there was a spare driver it could be split/shunted and reformed so that the affected cab was in the middle, but a fair amount of faffing about.

It would have been handy, but it was a Pendolino.....

Crossover

Established Member
Whilst waiting at Crewe a few years ago, there was a set that had developed a fault on the leading end. They brought a service heading in the opposite direction in on an adjacent platform (pl 1 and 5 IIRC) and did a full swap and sent them back from whence they came! My friend reported in on here at the time - it was a very impressive bit of organisation!

harz99

Whilst waiting at Crewe a few years ago, there was a set that had developed a fault on the leading end. They brought a service heading in the opposite direction in on an adjacent platform (pl 1 and 5 IIRC) and did a full swap and sent them back from whence they came! My friend reported in on here at the time - it was a very impressive bit of organisation!

I've had that experience at Preston due to defective air con in one leading cab.

Owing to the fact that the platform indicators were still showing original destinations and people were already boarding both trains before any on-train announcements were made, it was complete and utter chaos.

TheGrew

I saw something like that happen at Stafford due to a pantograph issue with one of the units. Cross platform swap between 3 and 4. Cracking to watch but pleased it wasn't me.

Established Member

And that incident is reported by a poster named Crossover!

Status
Not open for further replies.