• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed by 29 minutes... Worth a delay repay form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Yeah you may as well waste their time, I am sure they have nothing better to do! :roll:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If it was based on the time the doors were released this could lead to a situation where the first train had a fault and took 5 minutes to get the doors open, and the second opened them immediately, thus bring a (hypothetical) 31 minute delay within the DR threshold to 26 minutes. That would be very silly, so I think we need to stick with what can actually be recorded.

Regardless of whether delays can be caused by doors not opening or not, the length of time the first train may or may not have been delayed by has no bearing on the time that the second train that the OP was on arrived at OP's destination.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was on a train recorded as 31 and a quarter minutes late the other day. But it was 32 minutes late in reality. So what is recorded may not always be entirely accurate

island

Veteran Member
What is the cut-off point at which the delay is near enough to 30 minutes to merit compensation? Is it 29 or 28 or 25 minutes or what?

The cutoff is 30 minutes.

Attempting to claim when you know you were under 30 minutes late is fraud.

hounddog

Yeah you may as well waste their time, I am sure they have nothing better to do! :roll:

Given the inaccuracy of railway clocks - which you often use as justification for trains leaving early - there's always the chance that they have it recorded as 31 minutes.

455driver

Veteran Member
Given the inaccuracy of railway clocks - which you often use as justification for trains leaving early - there's always the chance that they have it recorded as 31 minutes.

The times are taken from the official source for all arrivals and departures, not somebodies wristwatch!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I know someone who was recently delayed by 20 minutes on a trip with Virgin Trains. He knew he wasn't entitled to anything, but wrote them a short letter saying he wasn't very impressed with the 20 minute delay and they sent him the price of his ticket in RTVs.

This thread really shouldn't have needed 44 posts to say that!

IanD

Established Member
I know someone who was recently delayed by 20 minutes on a trip with Virgin Trains. He knew he wasn't entitled to anything, but wrote them a short letter saying he wasn't very impressed with the 20 minute delay and they sent him the price of his ticket in RTVs.

You should have joined in earlier then. Wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever, though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Given the wording of the original post (the short answer to the question in the title is very obviously "no" as a delay form cannot be submitted) it was inevitable a lengthy debate would occur.

Had it been worded differently, then perhaps a one post reply may have concluded the thread.;)

Trainfan344

Established Member
Given the wording of the original post (the short answer to the question in the title is very obviously "no" as a delay form cannot be submitted) it was inevitable a lengthy debate would occur.

Had it been worded differently, then perhaps a one post reply may have concluded the thread.;)

But that wouldn't be the RailUK way would it now?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Indeed. There's a chance the OP will get a £50 'fob off' RTV!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

Indeed - and I mean it as no disrespect to the OP, but I do wonder how much of the nonsense in this thread about fraud and the like could have been avoided if he had thought about that a bit more. Or in future - and we should all know this about VT by no - write them a letter in the first instance - and create a thread if they don't reply with vouchers (although if more people followed this axiom, we might soon run out of threads ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.