• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed journey: Which company should I claim from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW73

I recently took a journey that required three different trains.

I was delayed for over an hour because the second train was late and I missed my last connection.

Each train was run by a different company.

Do I complain to the company that I started the whole journey with, even though their train was fine and I made that first connection, or do I complain to the company running the second train that made me miss the final connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I recently took a journey that required three different trains. I was delayed for over an hour because the second train was late and I missed my last connection. Each train was run by a different company. Do I complain to the company that I started the whole journey with, even though their train was fine and I made that first connection, or do I complain to the company running the second train that made me miss the final connection?
You put a delay claim in to the Train Company that caused the delay. So TOC number 2 in your case.

saxsux

If you abandoned your journey and/or turned around and travelled back to where you started, you should contact the company that sold you the ticket for a full refund. If you made it to your destination in the end, you should contact the operator of the second train for compensation.

mmh

Established Member
While the previous two replies are correct, it's a good example of why a single ticketing organisation would be sensible, or at least it should be a requirement that all retailers handle refunds and delay compensation for tickets they've sold. They can have money and responsibility being passed around internally, there's no good reason the customer should need to know.

flitwickbeds

If you completed your journey, you apply for Delay Repay from the second company as they caused the delay. Importantly, they should (but often don't - so follow up if not) compensate you for the cost of the whole journey, not just their leg.

If you abandoned your journey, get a refund from the company who issued your ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I recently took a journey that required three different trains.

I was delayed for over an hour because the second train was late and I missed my last connection.

Each train was run by a different company.

Do I complain to the company that I started the whole journey with, even though their train was fine and I made that first connection, or do I complain to the company running the second train that made me miss the final connection?
Claim delay compensation from the operator whose train caused the delay (the operator of the second train)

You are entitled to claim based on the entire duration of the delay (1 hour) for the entire journey, this is regardless of how many tickets were held for the journey.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Further to answers here - come back to the forum for further advice if you get claim denied, inadequate sum offered etc - it's not unheard of for train companies to fail to operate the compensation scheme properly - possibly due to poor staff training etc.

Note also there is a deadline in which you should lodge your claim.
If you state journey details and ticket price paid here no doubt someone will clarify the sum you should expect to get in return, which may be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.