• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed on a Northern £10 Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Don't know if this has come up before but the 1006 Sheffield Nottingham train today was cancelled so I've been delayed by an hour and am now on the slightly delayed 1106.

Normally a delay of over 60 minutes would entitle me to compensation but obviously a rover ticket doesn't say where you're going from or to so how would Northern be able to tell that I actually did go for the 1006 cancelled train and am not just trying it on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They wouldn't.

But if you are worried about a false accusation being made, you could obtain some evidence such as photographs,no though there is requirement to do this, of course.

BlueFox

I've made three delay repay claims for these £10 day tickets, requesting free Northern tickets each time.
They all went through with no problem, other than taking a long time (2-3 months), which was normal with Northern at the time. I think they're a bit quicker at dealing with delay repay these days.

The delays were: Cancelled train from Barrow to Carlisle due to a broken down loco. Cancelled train between Carlisle and Workington due to flooding, and someone hit by a train at Levenshulme. I didn't have any evidence that I was on the delayed trains, and they didn't ask for it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Normally a delay of over 60 minutes would entitle me to compensation but obviously a rover ticket doesn't say where you're going from or to so how would Northern be able to tell that I actually did go for the 1006 cancelled train and am not just trying it on?

How would they have known if you had a walk-up ticket from your origin to your destination? All that shows is that you were travelling between the two stations it doesn't say when you were doing so and which train you were planning on getting!

Howardh

Established Member
I had a similar situation on Thursday when I got to Horwich and my train was cancelled, next one over 30 minutes later, but the ticket wasn't train-specific and no gates to tap in. In fact I knew as I was approaching on the bus that the train was cancelled (via the app) so I wandered round Middlebrook for a bit and then went to the station.

Can I put in a claim?

Howardh

Established Member
Yes of course! As long as you were delayed by at least 15 minutes then put in a claim!
Thanks - how do I get a screenshot of my mobile ticket?
EDIT hold down power and volume button!
Delay repay now claimed for, over half-an-hour as the next train was over 5 mins late so that took the delay beyond 30'

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Without knowing what device you use and the operating system I'm not sure what the combination of buttons would be to do that. I would suggest google is probably your friend here.

_toommm_

Established Member

You'd probably be best sending in a screenshot of your booking conformation - not all mobile tickets have the price on, so it makes it more likely that the claim will get rejected if you send a screenshot of the ticket in.

Howardh

Established Member
As I edited, I managed a screenshot (power/volume > files) and the price was on the ticket. The mobile had two parts, the code (now expired and it's vanished) and the "paper" ticket.

paddington

It probably isn't worth it for TOCs to investigate small claims unless there is a suspicious pattern. I have claimed many times with Northern rovers and rangers and tickets bought on the train, where I broke my journey and was delayed later (so potentially suspicious as claiming for a different train to the one where I bought the ticket).

I was delayed almost every day, and several times on some days, on the 7-day rover I bought last summer and Northern paid out for every instance, either based on 10% of the rover price (so 2.5%) for 15 mins delays or with free tickets for 30+ mins.

There was no way to verify my claims short of sending someone to tail me and then looking through CCTV if they managed to identify my clothes and my backpack...

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Thanks all for the replies. After eventually arriving in Nottingham an hour late I enjoyed a pleasant, wind-assisted bike ride to Lincoln where I found my planned train back to Sheffield (the 1917) had also been cancelled!

Fortunately I was able to put a spurt on and make the 1824 but I wonder what would have happened if I'd claimed for both delays, considering my outward destination and return origin are some 40 miles apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.