• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delayed on split tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Laurab

Hi all,

I am on the 14.43 Euston to Crewe. I was due to arrive at 16.55. This has now been delayed to 17.22 arrival as there was no driver at Rugby. This was a single advance ticket on LNR.

My connection is 17.09 Crewe to Preston on Virgin then 18.07 Preston to Glasgow on Cross Country. This was bought on one ticket as a single advance.

As I will miss my connection at Crewe, my option will be the direct Virgin service at 18.09 to Glasgow arriving into Glasgow at 21.12.

I am planning on speaking to the station staff at Crewe as there is no staff on this train, how likely am I to get onto the next train without buying a new ticket as it is all different operators? Can I also claim delay repay via LNR for my whole journey? My main concern is travelling from Crewe to Glasgow and having to purchase a new ticket for this.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum :)

The 18:07 from Preston is operated by Transpennine Express rather than Cross Country.

I would travel on the next available Virgin service and ask the guard on that train if you can stay on to Glasgow. Technically you're supposed to alight at Preston and continue on Transpennine from there but you might get lucky if you explain the position. From what I can see the next Transpennine service from Preston to Glasgow wouldn't arrive at Glasgow until 22:42.

You can claim delay repay for the delay to your journey, the fact that you have used a combination of tickets to make your journey is immaterial. You claim from London Northwestern as they caused the initial delay.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
You are entitled to continue your journey on the same operator as booked without asking staff. If you ask staff, I would note carefully what they say and stick to the advice.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes definitely get the 1809 from Crewe.

Staff at Crewe might give you permission to stay on the train beyond Preston all the way to Glasgow, but they might not: if not I'd show the Guard on the train your booking confirmation email and ask that you can stay on the train to Glasgow, given the delay.

If they refuse, then you do have a long wait at Preston, though there are facilities there (or pubs etc in the town centre nearby).

gray1404

Established Member
You do not need to buy a new ticket, so don't! Based on your current ticket combination you are entitled to take the next Virgin Train to Preston followed by the next Transpennine Express train to Glasgow. Keep hold of your Euston to Crewe ticket as proof you were on a delayed service.

The above is what you are entitled to do without having to speak to anyone or get any permissions. However, as others have said it might be worth speaking to the guard on the Virgin Trains service to Preston to see if they will allow you to stay on board to Glasgow. In fact I would ask the station staff at Crewe first in case they authorise it. If they say no, you can then ask the guard of the Virgin service to Preston anyway. There will be a crew change at Preston so they may say it is up to their colleague who will take over. Likewise if they say no then you are quite entitled to ask the new guard who takes over at Preston.

If you are not able to stay on after Preston, ask the station staff at Preston again and see what they say. Worst case is you have to wait for the next TPE service. Yes, I know I am saying to ask a lot of people but, from experience, it can pay off.

You can claim delay repay from London North Western, as the train company that caused you to be delayed and miss your connection, based on your arrival time at Glasgow when you finally get there. This will be based on your entire journey and against the value of your entire set of tickets - so keep hold of them as you will need them to make a claim. When you come to make a claim on their website I would photograph them all together in one image file and then state London Euston to Glasgow Central as my journey, I'd select Advance single as the ticket type and enter the total value of the entire combination of tickets. When selecting the length of delay this is based on the time you should have arrived in Glasgow had everything ran to time compared to the time you actually get there.

Last edited:

_Laurab

Hi all, thanks for your helpful and speedy advice. I will update later how I get on. I’ll try my luck with asking to stay on. I fly to China tomorrow so I would like to be home sooner rather than later! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.