• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delays at Doncaster 06/06/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Arriving into Doncaster tonight just after 5pm it looked like last Thursday again. Virgin 91 in Platform 4 that was the 16:41 to Leeds and 25 minutes late, plus a Virgin HST on the through line next to it and another one pulling up south of the station, as well as a Grand Central unit in platform 8.

Didn't catch what the delay was this week and didn't want to bug the staff seeing as I was home, just curious about what's happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
Arriving into Doncaster tonight just after 5pm it looked like last Thursday again. Virgin 91 in Platform 4 that was the 16:41 to Leeds and 25 minutes late, plus a Virgin HST on the through line next to it and another one pulling up south of the station, as well as a Grand Central unit in platform 8.

Didn't catch what the delay was this week and didn't want to bug the staff seeing as I was home, just curious about what's happened.

Signalling problems is the reason given.

Tracked

Established Member
Ah, Thanks, was wondering if the track had melted in the heat. After half an hour on a 142 I certainly had ... :D

Last edited:

1A43 (17.15 Leeds-Kx) came to a stand just south of Rossington Crossing with a traction motor overload. Fitters attended and have rectified the fault and now moving forward under its own power 71 late when I last checked. Following services were held back at Doncaster while Thunderbird attended.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
1A43 (17.15 Leeds-Kx) came to a stand just south of Rossington Crossing with a traction motor overload. Fitters attended and have rectified the fault and now moving forward under its own power 71 late when I last checked. Following services were held back at Doncaster while Thunderbird attended.

When a traction motor "overloads" is it drawing way more power then what it should?

Tracked

Established Member
So anyway, another massive problem today then ...

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...s-have-been-suspended-due-to-a-fire-1-7951598
Following reports earlier that train services at Doncaster were being delayed due to a fire, we now hear that many have been suspended.

The service has been suspended on Grand Central both ways between Doncaster and Kings Cross, and between York and Kings Cross and services being diverted between Doncaster and Newark North Gate due to fire on property near the railway.

:|

westv

Established Member
The property must be very close to the track.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Was it 91131 by any chance (which decided to trip out on Sunday night north of Stevenage giving the driver a long walk to restart it)

Lee_Again

Arrived [email protected] for 17.46. Just left on 20.00 to Sheffield. Then London, then Stevenage. Was on 18.55 but told to get out and get on adjacent train (pl 3) which was now packed. Then told the delay could be another 3 hours. Hence the Sheffield slog.

Haywain

Veteran Member
To try and get back quicker from the north, I opted to go to Sheffield and via the MML. Missed a connection at Sheffield, and have just left Leicester 76 minutes late, and then been told that the train has a special stop order and will NOT be calling at my destination! This being on a train that until departure was calling at my destination.

tucker

I was at Barnetby today. I was going to take a trip to Doncaster. Glad I didn't now

Mainliner

Yes. There is a plan which might require fully or partially closing the line again around now to allow the remains to be demolished.

Am on what originally was the 1930 KGX-NCL which left about 2030 and is now going to Leeds instead, with a 90 minute delay forecast around Newark while the building is demolished.

Last edited:

Lee_Again

Arrived [email protected] for 17.46. Just left on 20.00 to Sheffield. Then London, then Stevenage. Was on 18.55 but told to get out and get on adjacent train (pl 3) which was now packed. Then told the delay could be another 3 hours. Hence the Sheffield slog.

I'm now on 20.49 from Sheffield. Still in Sheffield. Waiting for another train apparently. Not that anybody else knows because there are no announcements. And the air con is broken. And First is declassified so no refreshments. It's like a third world country.

Will also miss the connection at Leicester so my plant to taxi from Luton is scuppered. London, here I come.:(

ryan125hst

Established Member
I'm now on 20.49 from Sheffield. Still in Sheffield. Waiting for another train apparently. Not that anybody else knows because there are no announcements. And the air con is broken. And First is declassified so no refreshments. It's like a third world country.

Will also miss the connection at Leicester so my plant to taxi from Luton is scuppered. London, here I come.:(

Are you on a Class 222? I've heard on the air con failing on Virgin Trains' HST's and 225's quite a bit (so presumably EMT's HST's also suffer this), but I don't recall the 222's being as prone. I wonder if this hot weather has worn the system out?

Lee_Again

Just left 15 mins late due to a signal problem near kettering. Really???

louis97

Established Member

Seems like you were waiting for the late running services from Liverpool. Anyone on that who wanted Loughborough or Leicester would not get there till about 2330 for Loughborough or 2350 for Leicester if it was not held.

I would imagine they'll hold the connection at Leicester for Market Harborough, Kettering, etc.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Really. See my post above.
I would imagine they'll hold the connection at Leicester for Market Harborough, Kettering, etc.
I wouldn't bank on it. This is EMT who don't seem to regard anything between Wellingborough and London as important.

Lee_Again

I wouldn't bank on it. This is EMT who don't seem to regard anything between Wellingborough and London as important.

Saw that.

But failing to see why that would affect my train at Sheffield. It was ready to go at 20.49. It was waiting for the Liverpool train but this wasn't advertised.

Anyhow...

louis97

Established Member

Should hold it, last stopping train of the day south of Leicester. Looks like they are.

Lee_Again

Saw that.

But failing to see why that would affect my train at Sheffield. It was ready to go at 20.49. It was waiting for the Liverpool train but this wasn't advertised.

Anyhow...

The train was held at Leicester. Kudos to EMT for that.

I just had to look...:(

Turns out that despite talk of a three hour wait and (this is what made my mind up) the potential for bustitution, the 1E23, which was stopped at Doncaster, actually left about 20 minutes later @ 20.29. The was another service, 1E25, that left shortly after that. OK, both are delayed with 23.15 approx. arrival times at Stevenage but my trip via Sheffield won't get me home until well after midnight.

And what will I get for my sins. My £50 ticket refunded.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I was sending people via donny or leeds to sheffield and on to nottingham for peterborough or sheffield to london. With TPE disrupted at marsden that knocked euston out as an option

SteveP29

My stepdaughter was on the 13:30 Edinburgh - Kings Cross yesterday.
She texted her mother to ask what to do because the train was terminating at Doncaster, I told her to tell her that there's nothing we can do about it, we're a couple of hundred miles away from her, listen to the announcements and if in doubt ASK somebody in uniform.
By the time she got to Doncaster, the line was open again and she was able to proceed, but did have to change trains. The train was full and before they reached Peterborough there was apparently a lady taken ill because of the overcrowding of the train, apparently it was like a commuter train, there were so many people on board. Another delay at Peterborough while the train was met by an ambulance to take the unfortunate passenger away.
She arrived at Kings Cross at 19:58, 2 minutes early to be able to claim full refund.

She then had a problem on the tube because of signalling problems at Brixton

Status
Not open for further replies.