• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delays on the Uckfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I noticed there were a load of journos asking for permission to use the image, and the lady wanted a small fee. I guess the Sun actually coughed up:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3338353/herd-of-cows-cause-train-delays-in-kent-after-crowding-on-platform/

One bleary-eyed commuter was left open-mouthed after spotting 30 COWS lining up patiently on the opposite platform at a Kent train station.

Francesca Ryan posted a picture of the surreal sight at Hever station along with the words “Holy Cow”.

Operator Southern confirmed its trains were delayed due to bizarre incident.

A message on the troubled train line’s website read: “Train services are subject to delay as a result of approximately 30 cows having accessed the railway line in the Hever area.

“Staff have been called to remove then animals.”

Last edited:

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I have been asked by the media if they can use photos I have taken and always said yes wpfor no fee.

I can sort of understand why the photographer wants a fee. After all many media organisations carry advertising on their sites so they are making money so why shouldn't the photographer get some?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I have been asked by the media if they can use photos I have taken and always said yes wpfor no fee.

I can sort of understand why the photographer wants a fee. After all many media organisations carry advertising on their sites so they are making money so why shouldn't the photographer get some?

It's his copyright so he can sell it for whatever he wishes.

tsr

Established Member
A total of about 60 cows accessed either Hever station or the railway line in the end. A southbound train running at caution just beyond Hever managed to startle a few of them into going into Mark Beech Tunnel (Hever <-> Cowden) and had to return to Oxted while they were cleared. Meanwhile a northbound service ended up stuck at Ashurst for a couple of hours, having been waiting (as is routine) for the southbound train to clear the single line, but then for way longer for the cows to be moved.

A "pat" on the back for the willing NR crews who stepped in to help and managed to shoo the herd out of the way without much help from the farmer...

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Any information on how they got onto the line? Also what is the line speed through there- one animal was on the track.

pemma

Veteran Member
I noticed there were a load of journos asking for permission to use the image, and the lady wanted a small fee. I guess the Sun actually coughed up:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3338353/herd-of-cows-cause-train-delays-in-kent-after-crowding-on-platform/

Her Twitter profile says she's an 18 year old student, so she's probably got no real income and some journalist earning a lot and working for a profitable organisation has asked to use a photo she took. Not unreasonable to ask for a small fee.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I was in no way criticising her for wanting a small fee. I just found it mildly amusing that the first people to request use of the image were unable to pay for it, and then the next tweet was from the Sun, which is where it ended up.

tsr

Established Member
70 moo the platforms I think.

30/70 temporary speed restriction, with 70mph applicable for Class 171s. However, at that time of day all passenger services are booked to call at Hever, and therefore the cows are likely to have been spotted from a speed of around 40mph if the Down service was in the vicinity of the station.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
30/70 temporary speed restriction, with 70mph applicable for Class 171s. However, at that time of day all passenger services are booked to call at Hever, and therefore the cows are likely to have been spotted from a speed of around 40mph if the Down service was in the vicinity of the station.
Good job there wasn't an ECS or NR vehicle. I hope this will be treated as a very serious incident. If anyone deliberately broke fencing to allow fly grazing for example I hope a prosecution is brought.

physics34

Established Member
Mainly unrelated but a 171 is on the 00.33 London Bridge to Norwood Junction via Crystal Palace tonight
.all.stops.

physics34

Established Member
I was just about to post that.

Conductor operated... was going to be a 2 coach train at one point as well, before some reshuffling was done.

lol... must be the first time one of these has worked as a metro service on this route....or on any metro route for that matter on southern....

..although i do recall rumours of a 171 calling all stations via Forest Hill all stops in the early years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.