• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delays to Eurostar, Connecting Domestic Ticket OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leedspete

i am fortunate to be going to italy in august by train.the only thing is 3 diiferent lots of train tickets that i need.
i have just found out that on my return from venice that the train may get into paris 1 hour later this is ok that i have already allowed for this but if it is longer and i have to get a later from paris to london it is covered under civ.but the thing is i have booked a train from london to leeds.
my qestion is would my ticket to leeds from london be covered by this or would i have to pay for another ticket>

many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is your ticket to Leeds from London Terminals, London International (CIV) or London Estar?

Also what is the ticket type? Is it (Super) Off-Peak, Advance or else?

leedspete

so my train ticket from kings cross is
EC Advance: Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Changeable prior to date of travel for a fee.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
so my train ticket from kings cross is
EC Advance: Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Changeable prior to date of travel for a fee.

In the case of a normal random delay on an incoming Eurostar you can take a later train with an Advance, according to the FAQs here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=729130&postcount=1

But as you know already that your planned timings might not work I think your case is much less certain of being passed on a later service, so IMHO you are going to have to change it. Your potential problem no longer comes under the situation of a random and unplanned delay on the actual day while you are travelling.

The FAQ only explicitly refers to the Eurostar leg - if that runs to time you might not be on it anyway, having missed it at Paris...

leedspete

I think the confusion is that i might be late for my connecting train from paris to london and not being able to get on my prebooked train to leeds.
Does this come under civ or not?

Thanks in advnace

John @ home

Established Member
I ... might be late for my connecting train from paris to london and not being able to get on my prebooked train to leeds.
Does this come under civ or not?
The rules allow you to travel by a later East Coast train if you are delayed by that train company of one of its partners, e.g. Eurostar. These are set out in the post linked by swt_passenger above. In particular, see this part of Q&A 22:
Q22. Can a passenger travel on any other service than the one on which they are reserved, without changing the booking?

A.
the following principles apply. ...

2) Once the journey has begun. If the passenger is delayed and the train company or it's partners [are] at fault, which should be check by [staff] control office, change to a train of the same company is allowed to get them to their destination with the least delay. This is irrespective of the combination of rail tickets held. Examples are:

Included: are passsengers on valid ... Combination of rail and partner tickets.

e.g. Combination of Eurostar tickets into the UK and then either advance tickets from London terminals or "London Intnl CIV" or Lndon Eurostar CIV;

Squaddie

The rules allow you to travel by a later East Coast train if you are delayed by that train company of one of its partners, e.g. Eurostar.
But (despite the title of the thread) the OP seems to be asking what would happen if he were to arrive late in Paris, thereby missing his booked Eurostar. In that instance the delay would be the fault of SNCF, not Eurostar.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
my qestion is would my ticket to leeds from london be covered by this or would i have to pay for another ticket>

But (despite the title of the thread) the OP seems to be asking what would happen if he were to arrive late in Paris, thereby missing his booked Eurostar. In that instance the delay would be the fault of SNCF, not Eurostar.

But he has asked a specific question about London to Leeds?!

leedspete

sorry about the confusion
my question was if my train is late getting into london what would happen to my ticket/booking from london to leeds?

many thanks again

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
sorry about the confusion
my question was if my train is late getting into london what would happen to my ticket/booking from london to leeds?

That wasn't actually what you asked originally though. You asked what would happen if you completely missed your booked train from Paris to London because the train from Italy to Paris was late. So it isn't the Eurostar service that is late, it is you that is on a later train, IYSWIM.

If your problem is on the train into Paris, surely you need the guard on that train to endorse your ticket to allow you onto the later Eurostar from Paris first of all?

Squaddie

That wasn't actually what you asked originally though. You asked what would happen if you completely missed your booked train from Paris to London because the train from Italy to Paris was late. So it isn't the Eurostar service that is late, it is you that is on a later train, IYSWIM.
That's how I understand the original question, too.

leedspete

ok what i asked originally was that my train from Paris would be OK as it is covered under civ rules but what would happened if i missed my connection from London kings cross to Leeds
i am really worried that i wont make the train back to leeds

sorry for the confusion

John @ home

Established Member
ok what i asked originally was that my train from Paris would be OK as it is covered under civ rules but what would happened if i missed my connection from London kings cross to Leeds
i am really worried that i wont make the train back to leeds
My response in post #7 tried to tackle that worry and to provide reassurance.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I will give you a true example of a delayed European trip. My journey was from Amsterdam to Edinburgh via Brussels & London. My tickets held were:-

1) An FIP Free International Coupon for the Netherlands.
2) The return portion of an Essen to Dordrecht return.
3) A Eurostar Any Belgian Station to London.
4) A single from London International CIV+ to Linlithgow.

Now there were engineering works at the Dutch / Belgian border between Dordrecht & Essen which resulted in me missing my booked Eurostar which in turn made me miss the last through day service from KGX to Scotland.

I was not the only person in this predicament as I met some people at Brussels heading to Falkirk Grahamston. They held a combination of three tickets each (AMS -BRX, BRX -STP, LNE -FKG).

I managed to book a berth on the Caledonian Sleeper but my new travelling companions were trained to Newcastle, put up in a hotel overnight, & trained to Falkirk the next morning - the clerk did mention the CIV on our tickets but I'm sure something similar would have been sorted regardless.

Grizzly

Apologies if some of these questions have been answered before, but I saw this thread and it answered at least one of them, namely that you are covered for delays if you are using a combination of tickets including:

e.g. Combination of Eurostar tickets into the UK and then either advance tickets from London terminals or "London Intnl CIV" or Lndon Eurostar CIV;

However, I cannot see any mention of the opposite direction, i.e. travelling into London on an advance ticket, what would happen if you were delayed and missed your booked Eurostar?

In this case would an advance e.g. to Kings Cross be suitable or should you try to get a ticket to London Intnl CIV or Lndon Eurostar CIV?

Are the tickets that Raileasy will sell to "London International", including the cheap advances, properly covered for delays under CIV? Can you buy these anywhere else?

I think I've read on here about the Eurostar CIV tickets being different and available only from Eurostar and not online. Can you buy these if you have bought your Eurostar ticket elsewhere, e.g. from Deutsche Bahn as part of a through ticket to Germany?

Apologies again for so many questions all at once, but I'm hoping to book such a trip soon and hope someone will be able to help.

benk1342

I think I've read on here about the Eurostar CIV tickets being different and available only from Eurostar and not online. Can you buy these if you have bought your Eurostar ticket elsewhere, e.g. from Deutsche Bahn as part of a through ticket to Germany?

There are two kinds of domestic CIV tickets: Those to/from "London International (CIV)" and those to/from "Lndon Eurostar (CIV)" (note the missing o in Lndon). Any ticket office (and Raileasy) can sell the London International ones; they are supposed to ask to see your Eurostar tickets before doing so though. Only Eurostar domestic sales (01233 617913) can sell the Lndon Eurostar ones, which are (sometimes substantially) cheaper. In my experience they just ask whether you have a Eurostar ticket; they don't care where it came from. It can be difficult to get through to that phone number (frequently engaged) but keep trying. Once you get through they are friendly and helpful. They will post your tickets to you for free or you can pick them up from a TVM.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
However, I cannot see any mention of the opposite direction, i.e. travelling into London on an advance ticket, what would happen if you were delayed and missed your booked Eurostar?

What happens then is up to Eurostar's discretion, but you have no right to be carried on the next service. As far as I am aware they do however always put such passengers on the next appropriate Eurostar with spare capacity in the name of good customer service.

In this case would an advance e.g. to Kings Cross be suitable or should you try to get a ticket to London Intnl CIV or Lndon Eurostar CIV?

You should try to get a ticket to London Intl CIV or Lndon Estar CIV.

Are the tickets that Raileasy will sell to "London International", including the cheap advances, properly covered for delays under CIV? Can you buy these anywhere else?

These tickets are properly covered for delays under CIV. You could buy these at any station booking office without the Raileasy booking fee.

Eurostar Domestic Sales have recently issued me with a Lndon Estar CIV connection to a DB London-Spezial, so I presume that this is permitted. The staff member needed to check my name on a database to find out that I was booked on Eurostar.

You can look up CIV fares on www.brfares.com. If you want to find Advance availability I suggesting checking Raileasy for London Intl CIV fares or a single on www.eurostar.com between your National Rail station and Paris for Lndon Estar CIV. After choosing your train and fare there is a confirmation of this on a separate page and which stage you can click for a breakdown of the fare into the separate Lndon Estar CIV and Eurostar ticket prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.