• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deletion of fixed link from Southsea Hoverport to Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

alistairlees

Established Member
The fixed link (the bus) that runs from Southsea Hoverport to Portsmouth Harbour station and then on to Portsmouth & Southsea station seems to have been deleted from the data.

Any idea why?

This means it is impossible on any website (I tried GWR.com, SouthernRailway.com, National Rail) to get an itinerary involving the hovercraft, or to buy a "+ Hovertravel" fare.

I'm assuming it's a mistake to remove the fixed link.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Does this mean that journeys to Ryde Esplanade now do not default to the hovercraft but offer the ferry from Portsmouth Harbour?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does this mean that journeys to Ryde Esplanade now do not default to the hovercraft but offer the ferry from Portsmouth Harbour?

Whenever I've bought that ticket (and it is worth it as it is, or was, cheaper than to Ryde Pier Head, ridiculously) it (nationalrail.co.uk; I've only ever done it walk-up) has only ever offered the ferry that I have noticed.

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
Yep, that's all I can get to appear - walk from Ryde Hoverport to Ryde Esplanade. That's quite logic, Southsea Hoverport is now a dead end in the schedule data.

alistairlees

Established Member
What data?
The schedule data supplied through DTD that feeds all journey planners; timetable data if you like. It includes fixed links data. Fixed links can be walk, bus, transfer, tube, metro. I think that's it. And one of the bits of fixed link data has, apparently, been deleted.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The schedule data supplied through DTD that feeds all journey planners; timetable data if you like. It includes fixed links data. Fixed links can be walk, bus, transfer, tube, metro. I think that's it. And one of the bits of fixed link data has, apparently, been deleted.

I see - interesting then that the hovercraft and associated link has been deleted as you say - I used that very link a few weeks ago.

alistairlees

Established Member
I see - interesting then that the hovercraft and associated link has been deleted as you say - I used that very link a few weeks ago.
The hovercraft is still there! I only said the bus from Southsea to Portsmouth has been deleted from the data. The fact that something has been deleted from the data doesn't mean fares are not valid; just that itineraries can't be planned using the hovercraft, and therefore tickets for it can't be sold.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The hovercraft is still there! I only said the bus from Southsea to Portsmouth has been deleted from the data. The fact that something has been deleted from the data doesn't mean fares are not valid; just that itineraries can't be planned using the hovercraft, and therefore tickets for it can't be sold.

Yes I understood what you meant - I didn't phrase it very well!

ajs

l do not understand the problem here. I have found that with the journey planners, they will route you through either the Hovercraft or Wightlink Ferry, depending on where you are travelling from, day of the week and time of day.

To ensure that you get Hovercraft routing, on for instance National Rail enquiries, you are best advised after entering your to/from journey details to go into the "more options' and under route , travel via Ryde Hoverport or even Southsea Hoverport. This will also give the Hoverbus timings.

If your preference is for the passenger ferry, enter Ryde Pierhead.

I understand that in the new year, there are proposed changes to the Hover Bus timetable and it is proposed that the Hoverbus will depart from Southsea Hoverport Terminal ONE minute after the scheduled arrival of the Hovercraft and arrive back at Southsea, 10 minutes before the scheduled Hovercraft departure time.

If this goes ahead, you might need your running shoes!

alistairlees

Established Member
l do not understand the problem here. I have found that with the journey planners, they will route you through either the Hovercraft or Wightlink Ferry, depending on where you are travelling from, day of the week and time of day.

To ensure that you get Hovercraft routing, on for instance National Rail enquiries, you are best advised after entering your to/from journey details to go into the "more options' and under route , travel via Ryde Hoverport or even Southsea Hoverport. This will also give the Hoverbus timings.

If your preference is for the passenger ferry, enter Ryde Pierhead.

I understand that in the new year, there are proposed changes to the Hover Bus timetable and it is proposed that the Hoverbus will depart from Southsea Hoverport Terminal ONE minute after the scheduled arrival of the Hovercraft and arrive back at Southsea, 10 minutes before the scheduled Hovercraft departure time.

If this goes ahead, you might need your running shoes!
The data was deleted. It has now been reinstated. So now journey planners can offer journeys via Hovertravel again. Whilst the data was deleted (i.e. until last night's update) no journey planner would have routed you this way, no matter what you had put in the via options, as it was impossible.

What is your source for the changes to Hoverbus timetable?

ajs

The Hover Travel web site, go to Hover News and scroll down the page. Sorry unable to copy and paste link.

JB_B

Established Member
It's a shame that RDG still don't provide a free feed for the routeing guide data. If I recall correctly, there was a document cited in this forum in which RDG claimed that the fares,timetable and routeing data were all freely available - does anyone recall what that was? (Search isn't doing it for me today.)

akm

The Hover Travel web site, go to Hover News and scroll down the page. Sorry unable to copy and paste link.

From https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/HoverNews/index.php :

Hoverbus Timetable

To allow greater connectivity between the Hoverbus and our hovercraft at Southsea we are currently requesting a revision of the Hoverbus timetable from Portsmouth City Council.

The Hoverbus will still undertake the same route however it will depart from Southsea terminal one minute after the scheduled arrival of the hovercraft and arrive back at Southsea terminal 10 minutes before the scheduled hovercraft departure time. Notification of the implementation of this will be given in due course and is expected to be January or February 2019.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The data was deleted. It has now been reinstated. So now journey planners can offer journeys via Hovertravel again. Whilst the data was deleted (i.e. until last night's update) no journey planner would have routed you this way, no matter what you had put in the via options, as it was impossible.

Funny how it got re-instated just hours after I sent the link to this thread to Hovertravel, who acknowledged it and said they would investigate... :D

Would have been interesting to be the fly on the wall at either end when they the railway rang up about it... :lol:

wibble

Funny how it got re-instated just hours after I sent the link to this thread to Hovertravel, who acknowledged it and said they would investigate... :D

Would have been interesting to be the fly on the wall at either end when they the railway rang up about it... :lol:

I wouldn't get too excited about it. It had nothing to do with you getting involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.