• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deltic Tour looses Deltic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucaZone

Just heard news that the Deltic heading up north on a Rail Tour has 'Put a leg out of bed' or to less in the know, thrown a piston off the crank shaft. This has happened once before with a Deltic, and basically means the engine is wrecked. There are reports of a big hole in the side of the loco where the piston 'left' the engine. A Class 47 that was part of the working has carried on and the Deltic has been taken off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S Lowes

Just heard news that the Deltic heading up north on a Rail Tour has 'Put a leg out of bed' or to less in the know, thrown a piston off the crank shaft. This has happened once before with a Deltic, and basically means the engine is wrecked. There are reports of a big hole in the side of the loco where the piston 'left' the engine. A Class 47 that was part of the working has carried on and the Deltic has been taken off.

Dunno where it got took off or where the hole in the side is but threre is some oil down the side of it

But i know it made it to Newcastle

http://nerailpics.fotopic.net/p34853843.html

theblackwatch

Established Member
I think reports have been exaggerated a bit! Yes, 55022 has put a leg out of bed. This hasn't happened once before - it occurred on numerous occasions in BR service, although it hasn't happened on the main line in preservation up to now. For anyone more interested in an explanation of what 'a leg out of bed' is, take a look at http://www.ptfnasty.com/ptfDelticdisc.htm (in bold about 1/3 of the way down).

Reports that the piston went through the side of the loco are incorrect, although a few years ago, when 'thumper' put a leg out of bed its piston shot through the engine room window and ended up in a nearby field! Also, 60081 ended up with a large dent in its bodyside when something similar happened. 55022 has continued through to Edinburgh, but on one engine only, and arrived pretty much on time (thanks to a not so fast schedule). At Edinburgh, 40145 has taken over as planned, and I gather the 40 will work the whole tour over the next 2 days rather than being top/tail with the Deltic. Obviously the Deltic will now require power unit repairs before it can operate on both units, a major blow and bad luck for all those involved in its return - knowing many of them, I can imagine how they must be feeling.

The Snap

Established Member
Jordy (or a very good lookalike - not for the first time ;)) appears to be in one of those photos.

I thought it was, but Jordy said he hadn't been out photting recently, so assumed it was a look-alike! :razz:

Tour thundered through Donny around 6:15 this evening with 40145 on the front and 55022 dead inside:( A 40 is good but the Deltic would have been better.

BTW Jordy I thought it was you in that picture but I assumed you would have been at school;)

Jordy

Established Member
BTW Jordy I thought it was you in that picture but I assumed you would have been at school;)

I was on a 1 day holiday thing, wasnt actually expecting to see the deltic, just happened to be stood waiting for a Leeds train at Donny when it appeared!!

Jordy

The Snap

Established Member
Just to let you all know, 55022 will return to Bury on Friday, and WILL run its turns this weekend as rostered, on one engine. However, it will be top 'n' tailed or double headed with D335 (401435) to provide steam heat.

From senior Diesel Department personnel on private ELR forum. ;)

The Snap

Established Member
The reason for the 'leg out of the bed' was because the pistons were using the wrong type of oil. This was in use before the overhaul, and they weren't aware of it, until now. Martin has been quoted a massive £200,000 to repair the crank case!

hi. all the deltic tour in jan from kx is cancelled.

The recent events surrounding 55022 and its damaged power unit have meant alterations to forthcoming tours. The SRPS Linlithgow-Lincoln tour, which runs 8th December 2006, will now see alternative traction, meanwhile the tour planned for 2nd January 2007, from King's Cross to Newcastle, has been cancelled.

from 55s.co.uk

matty

Status
Not open for further replies.