• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deltic Tweed:D9009 working 1Z54 to Tweedbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybee60163

Hi All

Not posted in a while however, having been up since 5 this morning and only managing one decent shot of the deltic in the sun from todays run to Tweedbank, can safely say that a rerun of the trip may have to be done again in June when the tour runs again. On another note, my one and only shot from today can be found at the following link. The shot is a little different what i usually do but on a hole not to disappointed with it:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaybee60163/26332826535/in/dateposted-friend/

Kind Regards

J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shalebing

I hope you don't mind me posting this query on your thread as I have just joined the forum. I am new to railway photography and came across the photo below on Facebook and I'm curious as to how I can find out the location. I know it is on the Waverley line and wondered if the 'No.67' marker post on the left might indicate the location but I would not know how to go about finding that out. I'm hoping to gather a few good spots for the forthcoming Flying Scotsman excursions.

Attachments

• waverley.jpg
    waverley.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 12

BestWestern

Established Member
I hope you don't mind me posting this query on your thread as I have just joined the forum. I am new to railway photography and came across the photo below on Facebook and I'm curious as to how I can find out the location. I know it is on the Waverley line and wondered if the 'No.67' marker post on the left might indicate the location but I would not know how to go about finding that out. I'm hoping to gather a few good spots for the forthcoming Flying Scotsman excursions.

The '67' appears to be the bridge number of whatever that structure is - I presume it is, indeed, a bridge, or perhaps a retaining wall of some sort. There also looks to be lifted pointwork beneath the train; as well as the remaining piece of rail you can see where the sleepers extend out. So, perhaps the site of a siding or former junction?

Try searching for some enthusiast or rail history groups up that way; the location is distinctive and somebody will know! Alternatively, if you have a 'search area' you're fairly sure of, try Google Earth?

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm fairly sure that the location is Galabank, taken from a passing place on the minor road on the opposite side of the valley to the A7.
Google Maps:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x48879a4076dae799:0xd9a5ced3056b2b66
Streetview: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x48879a4076dae799:0xd9a5ced3056b2b66

A little bit of detective work is required if you don't simply ask whoever posted the photo online where it was taken. The front of the "Deltic" is illuminated by sunlight, so the photographer must have been facing north, only certain sections of the Borders Railway are single track (an examination of the Network Rail sectional appendix for Scotland, pages 657 - 660, is helpful there), it is just about possible to discern that the bridge being crossed is over a river (Gala Water, in this case, which you can also see curving round behind the train), and an examination of Google streetview confirms the correct arrangement of eaves and windows on the stone cottage in the background.

You also often find that many of the most popular viewpoints for railway photography are immediately accessible by car. ;)

Last edited:

shalebing

Many thanks for the replies with special thanks to "Sprinterguy" for the detailed answer.
Your Google Maps look spot on and, ironically, I now know where that location is. Last October I took some photos of the steam excursion just south of the village of Stow (with the church in the background) and this spot in question is just north of Stow.
I'll check it out sometime soon. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.