• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dempsey and Makepeace rail locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP33

This is on ITV4 at the moment. We have had Bank and Waterloo stations on the Waterloo and City line with footage inside one of the former Southern Railway trains. A level crossing at Wittersham Road on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. There was a fake sign making it out as a BR Station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've started re-watching this excellent series (loved it as a child) and have been struck by the wealth of 1980's BR scenes. Included some excellent shots of pre-remodelling Liverpool Street in the episode I've just watched.

Vespa

Established Member
I thought Glynis Barber is an absolute hottie !!!
Researched recently taking in all the now retro scenes, noticed the old BR stations and rolling stock, I did wonder where they're located, I'm due in London I hope to take time out to visit the locations and compare.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah! I remember the one with the Waterloo and City line in it - it mainly stuck in my mind because of how many extra stops the line seemed to have gained!

Which, I should add, doesn't matter as 99% of the viewers probably wouldn't have noticed.

MP33

I used to use the Waterloo and City line when that was filmed. I thought would I see myself, but it was obvious that it was filmed on a Sunday when the line was closed. All the passengers on the platform were extras wearing bowler hats and carrying rolled up umbrellas. Nobody dressed like that in the City of London for years before the filming.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Dempsey & Makepeace was very comic book in it's style and somewhat tongue in the cheek. Some of the stories and action sequences felt like they were straight out of a Hollywood film.

I watched it again a few years ago and it is very dated but enjoyable to watch in comparison to the tripe on the box these days.

I do find it surreal watching a London of the 1980s and seeing how much life has changed in the last 35 years.

CJ

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just watching episode 10.

Makepiece's friend goes to a station on the Southern Region (It looks like the building is one of the SER's timber buildings. Thought it might be Pluckley, but can't be as part of the building juts out into the station approach). You can also clearly see an Exmouth Junction style concrete footbridge through the booking hall door. A HAP/BR design EPB is seen entering the platform.

Next scene, the woman's body is seen falling out of a 1st gen DMU at Marylebone !

Status
Not open for further replies.