• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Denmark: last train at Rødby Færge (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member

Danish YouTuber (and DSB driver) Kenny Kariyawasam was on hand to film the very last train to and from Rødby Færge on the evening of 29 April. He’s put together a lot of information of the new electrified double track line that’s under construction and previews future services.

That’s it for Rødby: once a vast and vital railway interchange for international passengers and freight between Germany and Scandinavia, it will not re-open.

If the whole station and marshalling yard is demolished, I wonder whether Bane Denmark will retire the 16 goats and 2 horses released to keep the undergrowth and weeds down?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samulih

Once went on the ferry, by car, strange experience when you think it but nice anyways, and gorgeous views on both ends while driving

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
What a shame the film is defaced by background muzak, I had to stop it after a few seconds.

How may one reach Rodby in future?

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
What a shame the film is defaced by background muzak, I had to stop it after a few seconds.

Bus 720R from Maribo.

Flixbuses to/from Copenhagen probably also go this way too, but they might not set down in Rœdby.

Gloster

Established Member
It is still possible to reach Rødby Færge from Puttgarden by ship, but this involves a lengthy traipse along the walkways on and off the ferry if not travelling by car. The train service through to Puttgarden is fairly sparse.
Flixbuses to/from Copenhagen probably also go this way too, but they might not set down in Rœdby.
I don’t think that the Flixbuses call at Rødby. Certainly they don’t at the moment.

stuu

Established Member
How come it's closing now? The tunnel is years away

JonasB

The tunnel is not the only thing that is happening. Bane Danmark is closing the line to Rødby south of Storstrømsbroen for upgrading.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm so glad I managed to get this in at the end of 2019 shortly before the through services from Hamburg via the ferry came to an end. It was a really unique and interesting railway experience. Though clearly some upgrading was required as the train was horrendously overcrowded for part of it's journey into Copenhagen (I can't recall from which station onwards but from one of the ones after Rødby anyway and for probably around an hour or so, possibly Nykøbing?) so good to see that the upgrades are underway (even if Rødby itself won't reopen!).

Gloster

Established Member
The Copenhagen-Hamburg through trains now run via Odense and Padborg, and no trains use the ferries to Puttgarden. Trains to Rødby F. therefore have to be either extensions of trains from Copenhagen to Nykøbing F. or a shuttle. The number of passengers from Rødby F. itself have never been great as the station was built for the ferries and is poorly sighted for the various settlements. The disruption of the forthcoming engineering works is likely to further reduce what little traffic there is.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
A new line is planned between Luebeck and Fehmarn, it is unpopular locally. Oldenburg has much worse services for the duration of building works.

Status
Not open for further replies.