• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there whistleboards at Dent foot crossing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It's an awful long time since I was last there. But a check of the Sectional Appendix reveals that the crossing is not marked in that document. It would therefore be logical to assume that there are no whistle boards provided. That does not mean that drivers do not sound their horns there. Doubtless someone will be along eventually with a definitive answer.

Kurolus Rex

It's an awful long time since I was last there. But a check of the Sectional Appendix reveals that the crossing is not marked in that document. It would therefore be logical to assume that there are no whistle boards provided. That does not mean that drivers do not sound their horns there. Doubtless someone will be along eventually with a definitive answer.

Found an image while looking around and it would appear there is one right at the start of the platform ramp of the up platform. Not sure about the down platform, could maybe make one out a little bit before the station after the 30 limit but not 100% sure.

ComUtoR

Established Member
But a check of the Sectional Appendix reveals that the crossing is not marked in that document. It would therefore be logical to assume that there are no whistle boards provided.

The Sectional Appendix isn't required to show all crossings. (I spoke to them last month) I also checked our local ones and also doesn't show whistle boards.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
The Sectional Appendix isn't required to show all crossings. (I spoke to them last month) I also checked our local ones and also doesn't show whistle boards.

Which begs the question: what type of crossing might require whistle boards without actually appearing in the SA? Presumably there is a RSSB standard...

ComUtoR

Established Member
Which begs the question: what type of crossing might require whistle boards without actually appearing in the SA? Presumably there is a RSSB standard...

I have no idea. We have one that is missing from the SA and I queried it recently. I was informed that they do not need to put them all in and the one I questioned was ok to miss. It has a whistle board and is in frequent use. Table A Diagrams are a list of running lines. I would guess (I know its bad) that 'Level Crossings are probably required but foot crossings, not so much.

The SA is notorious for its 'accuracy'

Tomnick

Established Member
Footpath crossings or even user worked (vehicle) crossings without telephones don't tend to appear in the SA (which I do think is a problem especially on the TOC side!).

Dieseldriver

Just because a crossing has whistle boards, they aren't an indicator of its importance. You could have a little used foot crossing with whistle boards because it's on a curve without the required sighting time of trains. On the other hand, you could have a highly used crossing on a dead long straight with no requirement for whistle boards.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Just because a crossing has whistle boards, they aren't an indicator of its importance. You could have a little used foot crossing with whistle boards because it's on a curve without the required sighting time of trains. On the other hand, you could have a highly used crossing on a dead long straight with no requirement for whistle boards.

Oh I totally agree, hence my query about RSSB standards. Unless of course the responsibility for the appropriate risk assessment has been "devolved"...

NI 271

Thanks! Do you know where these are located exactly? (i appreciate this may not be easy to find out!)
On the up, it's directly in front of the bridge before the platform in the direction of travel, on the down it's about 25-30 yards after the board for the 30 PSR.

Don't worry, it wasn't difficult to find out, I drive past them several times most weeks...;)

Kurolus Rex

On the up, it's directly in front of the bridge before the platform in the direction of travel, on the down it's about 25-30 yards after the board for the 30 PSR.

Don't worry, it wasn't difficult to find out, I drive past them several times most weeks...;)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.