• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Departure acceleration GWR IET/Crosscountry from different platforms at Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

Is there any difference between departure platform in how quickly an intercity class train can accelerate out of Reading? Both in the London, and opposite, directions.

At a guess, platforms 8 and 9 might involve less track switching?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there any difference between departure platform in how quickly a class 800 can accelerate out of Reading? Both in the London, and opposite, directions.

At a guess, platforms 8 and 9 might involve less track switching?
Layout wise it‘s actually platforms 9 and 10 that are the fastest through routes (95 mph for HST) that align with the mains, (and hence the flyover). P8 and 11 are 50mph outside loops until they rejoin the mains. How that impacts on starting acceleration I’ll leave to others...

tornado

ok, i guess that explains why sometimes i've been on a crosscountry westwards departure from platform 3, and the departure has felt very sluggish. it has to do a lot of manoeuvring to get onto the fast line.

Status
Not open for further replies.