• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Departure Board Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

benfl3713

I have been looking for a good looking departure board software for a while now and have not come across anything that was clean enough but also looked like one you would find in a station.

Solution
Instead of searching forever I built my own. Using the real time trains api https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/about/developer/pull/docs/.
The main requirement for me was to make it look exactly like the led boards you get in big stations such as Birmingham New Street.

I have now made my website public for everyone to enjoy. Please let me know what you think.

https://leddepartureboard.com

preview.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
One issue I've found using one of your examples is https://leddepartureboard.com/singleboard/EUS - Bascially instead of scrolling to show all the stations that the next train is calling at, it only shows the first two then resets itself to start showing the stopping pattern again and only gets as far as the first two stop then it starts again.

The same issue occurs for both arrivals and departures.

_toommm_

Established Member
One little bug I've found, is where advertised buses from a station show an expected departure time of 00:00. Take these two examples from Leeds and Berwick-upon-Tweed respectively:

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 6.42.47 pm.pngScreenshot 2020-04-30 at 6.44.20 pm.png

Two other niggly things that aren't mission critical, but might be nice for the future:
- Being able to search by the station codes on the homepage.
- Having the current time be displayed as opposed to being scrollable. I'm not sure whether this is something on your end or mine, but if it helps I'm using Chrome on a Macbook Pro:

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 6.47.07 pm.png

However, it is a very nice website. I really like that the individual boards are interactive and you can click the stations in the 'Calling At' list to find out departures from that station, and I like the font used that replicates the LEDs normally found on the boards.

66Yorks

First of well done on the website. I have no idea how people can do this type of thing, its all witchcraft to me!

Secondly, is this primarily for PC monitors and not mobile devices? I'm struggling read it on my phone but will certainly give it a whirl on my PC.

James H

It's great. Only one niggle - 'ONTIME' should be 'ON TIME' - two words.

benfl3713

First of well done on the website. I have no idea how people can do this type of thing, its all witchcraft to me!

Secondly, is this primarily for PC monitors and not mobile devices? I'm struggling read it on my phone but will certainly give it a whirl on my PC.
Yes this is primarily meant to be shown on pc monitors. It is most optimised for a 1080p monitor.

I love it!
Its amazing.
I dont think the text colour isnt quite right and the font seems strange but I love it anyway

Jurg

One issue I've found is with some stations it shows all departures being from Platform 1 when there are more than one platform. Bermuda Park attached as an example.

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_061446.jpg
    IMG_20200504_061446.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 56

Peter Kelford

It's very good, but it would be nice if the same app could be used with a personal input for fictitious timetables...

MB162435

Established Member
Yes I am hoping to introduce this soon after a couple of other small improvements. Hoping to make it looks like the Virgin Trains (Now Avanti West Coast) signs.
Sounds exciting, good luck with these exciting developments!

benfl3713

One issue I've found using one of your examples is https://leddepartureboard.com/singleboard/EUS - Bascially instead of scrolling to show all the stations that the next train is calling at, it only shows the first two then resets itself to start showing the stopping pattern again and only gets as far as the first two stop then it starts again.

The same issue occurs for both arrivals and departures.
@Aictos
This should be fixed now in the latest update.

xtradj

This is great well done.

My feedback would be to have white lighting rather than the orange colour as the orange is the old style whereas white is being used on new boards

benfl3713

This is great well done.

My feedback would be to have white lighting rather than the orange colour as the orange is the old style whereas white is being used on new boards
If you go into the settings, then you can change the Font colour in the general section

Status
Not open for further replies.