• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot at Longsight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
My friend would like to know if there's any way of getting near the depot at Longsight :) Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Simple. Just follow the A57 towards the city center from Hyde, and there is a big gate which you can stick your camera through and take some photos.

Otherwise, it's just have a look to see what's there as your passing on the train.

EDIT - *Waits for the Manchester based members to try and prove me wrong*

theblackwatch

Established Member
Going back to one of the earlier threads you started today Gizmogle, I understand Longsight depot is located in a rather dodgy area of Manchester.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Brilliant.
It's not me who wanted to know though, it was my friend. We're meetin at Manchester Piccadilly in the half term...hopefully he isn't gonna take me there. He only wants to see some 57s anyway.

CallySleeper

Established Member
A multi-million (billion?) pound facility in a rough area of Manchester??

Seriously though, if as blackwatch says it is a bad district - it ain't worth it! If you want to see 57's, take a day trip to North Wales or Holyhead - 2 run arounds a day Monday - Friday!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Not got the time to go to Holyhead. I don't know why he wants to go to Longsight depot anyway.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Also worth bearing in mind that on Saturday's (from lunchtime I think), there are Class 57 WCML 'drags' between Crewe and Preston which go through Manchester - which will probably be an easier way of seeing the 57s. I think there are some to/from Liverpool as well some time soon, may have even started now.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Be careful in this area, I've heard reports that someone got a black eye and stolen camera when visiting. This could happen anywhere, so I'm not blaming the area, just saying keep safe.

Mushroom

its kinda difficult to see numbers from the train even with bino's, although a telephoto lens from the slow lines may do the trick. There is usualy only 1 Cl57 sitting there and you can't always see it. I'v never tried getting there by bike/car as longsight is a VERY dodgy area. Best avoided if you ask me.

metrocammel

A multi-million (billion?) pound facility in a rough area of Manchester??

Seriously though, if as blackwatch says it is a bad district - it ain't worth it! If you want to see 57's, take a day trip to North Wales or Holyhead - 2 run arounds a day Monday - Friday!

Longsight is hardly a multi-billion pound facility!! Its a bit of a archaic dump, that (other than the Eurostar depot & the refurbed Pendo bit) hasn't really changed much since it was a diesel / electric depot from the 1955 modernisation plan (if not before in kettle days!)
I think maybe you are referring to Ardwick depot, which is possibly a mult-million £ brand new depot (where 185's live), it is on the site of the old carriage sidings.
Longsight / Levenshulme isn't a nice area at all. It is full of "yardie" style black gangs who I imagine if they saw a weak-looking "trainspotter" perhaps with a fancy camera and a notebook, they would think of as easy pickings. If your desparate to go, a car would be useful perhaps (as at least you can then stop, do what you want to do, and get off pdq) other than that - I wouldn't risk it. Ardwick depot is the same, as it is roughly in the same dodgy-type of area, although it does have the added bonus of being near the "prossy" area of Manchester, so if your prepared to pay for a bit of nooky as well as some unit numbers........

Status
Not open for further replies.