• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Car Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacw

Just a general question really, do most train depots have their own car parks for train crew? If so do they charge, are there enough spaces etc. If not, do train crew just use a public car park/road parking.

Any examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
Birmingham has a large Multi Story CP (9 floors I believe) in Ellis Street. Pass required to enter and leave, fully gated and staffed so it's very secure. It is used by all TOCs and Network Rail staff so is very busy

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
And to complete the central Birmingham depots, Moor Street staff (train crew and managers) park in the Bullring multi story car park. We have our own gate which opens onto the walking route between platforms 3 & 4 and the sidings. When we were at Tyseley we could park in the railway museum car park. Other depots I know are Leamington Spa (staff car park near platform 1) Banbury (staff section of station car park) Aylesbury (staff section of station car park) and London Marylebone, which has no guaranteed parking but there are a handful of spaces outside the front of the station. Shifts at Marylebone tend to be worked around being able to get in by public transport, broadly speaking they start later and finish earlier than other depots on Chiltern. There is also an agreement that any driver finishing after midnight will get a taxi home, I believe this is a hangover from British Rail and is common amongst Zone 1 depots in London. It tends to result in not many turns being rostered to finish after midnight.

We have a staff car park here at Birmingham Snow Hill :)

With the tightest spaces in the world! If you get used to parking there then go into another car park somewhere else you instantly think you have cocked up because you can actually see the white lines when you open your door!

2Dogbox

We have a staff car park here at Birmingham Snow Hill :)

Does it still have an electronic gate opening thing?
Been after one of these at lincoln as we have to get out of car, fiddle about with giant Iron gate, get back in etc. . .

Established Member
Even Man Piccadilly has one. Pretty much value for money for the railway if they want trains out at short notice.

Established Member
I would expect that all depots have their own, or at least one very near by. After all most work 24 hours a day and not all staff could get there by public transport at certain hours of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.