• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Driver Passout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depotdriver

Hi all
Well I've made it this far. Just 2 more weeks and I will hopefully pass out as a fully qualified depot driver. Right now though I am starting to doubt myself on some of the rules and thought I'd ask some of you guys for your knowledge to help.
I have been made aware of certain questions I will be asked and am struggling to think of what they need as an answer.
The first is that I may be asked if I saw a train pass which was on fire or had a coach derail, how would I alert the driver. They may then ask what if there were no phones or GSM-r available.
Another question could be what would I do if the DSD fails when I'm driving.
And lastly if I was to fail on the mainline, what would be my actions.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just not entirely sure how in depth I need to be
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

secretsquirels

On Moderation
Congrats on getting this far! I’ve recently passed out a year ago as a depot driver. The honest answer is, it depends on your DTM. Some go to the arse end of a fart, others are more relaxed, but everyone I’ve encountered are there to help you. There are plenty safety of the line questions. My pass out week consisted of:
Day 1: Route exam
Day 2: Core driving and fault finding
Day 3: Traction exams
Day 4: Rules and Regs
Day 5: Summary assessment exam

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Hi all
Well I've made it this far. Just 2 more weeks and I will hopefully pass out as a fully qualified depot driver. Right now though I am starting to doubt myself on some of the rules and thought I'd ask some of you guys for your knowledge to help.
I have been made aware of certain questions I will be asked and am struggling to think of what they need as an answer.
The first is that I may be asked if I saw a train pass which was on fire or had a coach derail, how would I alert the driver. They may then ask what if there were no phones or GSM-r available.
Another question could be what would I do if the DSD fails when I'm driving.
And lastly if I was to fail on the mainline, what would be my actions.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just not entirely sure how in depth I need to be
Thanks

1. Switch your headlights to red/flash if fitted if on a train, you could stick an arm out of your window. Show a red flag, or both arms in the air if of foot. in darkness show a red light, or wave any light vigorously.
2. if the dsd fails then its company/traction specific. some traction will not have a dsd override and your dead in the water and require assistance from the rear. If you can over-ride it then the rulebook has a speed restriction of 60mph if no competent person is provided - TW5 applies to this. HOWEVER - Your company may have a different speed according to its DOTE plan. In all cases you contact the signaller immediately.
3. If you fail on the mainline you contact the signaller immediately. If you cannot, and you are in temporary or emergency block working then you are out providing emergency protection.

That's basically it.

driver9000

Established Member
If you're a depot driver you shouldn't be on the main line so some of that's irrelevant.

Train on fire is you contact the Signaller in the quickest way possible. In reality it is very unlikely these days you'll be without communication but the nearest signal will have an SPT for you to use.

DSD failure is stop the train and contact the controlling Signaller then your maintenance control and act on their instructions. With the DSD isolated the train is restricted to 60mph (assuming AWS/TPWS is working) but on a depot you won't be going faster than 5mph. See rule book TW5.

Train failure again is contact the controlling Signaller and then your maintenance controller. If the train is a failure then you lay assistance protection in the direction the assisting train will come from. The various scenarios are contained in rule book M2.

If in doubt go through the rules with your instructor who will have full local knowledge of what you will be required to know. Good luck.

Depotdriver

Thanks. I need to brush up on rules and had an inkling on those answers but feel happier now I'm on the right lines. I'm nervous but excited to finally be getting there

Stigy

Established Member
If you're a depot driver you shouldn't be on the main line so some of that's irrelevant.
Some depot drivers cross mainlines or have limited mainline work I believe, so have to do a full rules course? That may be the case here?

Teddyward

Yes, quite correct. All anglia depot drivers apart from ilford go on the mainline to some small degree. Don’t do quite the full rules though.

Status
Not open for further replies.