• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depots: LG & LO / CE & CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

I've always been curious to know why Longsight was split into electric and diesel (hence the separate TOPS codes) when the depots were literally next to each other. Surely it would have been much more simple to have allocated everything under the one code.

Also, in terms of Crewe (i.e. CE & CD) would it not have made much more sense to have had one depot for diesel and electric on the same site rather than splitting them?

Your thoughts / ideas would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

unclefreddy

It could be to save confusion with rolling stock allocations, a belt and braces solution to prevent some bright spark from sending an electric loco along a diesel only line? Someone more erudite than me may have a more accurate answer.

Helvellyn

Established Member
G'day everyone,

I've always been curious to know why Longsight was split into electric and diesel (hence the separate TOPS codes) when the depots were literally next to each other. Surely it would have been much more simple to have allocated everything under the one code.

Also, in terms of Crewe (i.e. CE & CD) would it not have made much more sense to have had one depot for diesel and electric on the same site rather than splitting them?

Your thoughts / ideas would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!
You also had MA for the Carriage depot at Longsight and ME for the Eurostar Depot (Officially Manchester International and on the other side of the tracks to Longsight).

Seems to have happened at a couple of other Depots that had mixed allocations of locos and stock and where there were distinct buildings used for the different locomotives/stock: -

Old Oak Common - OC (Locos), OM (Coaching Stock), OO (HSTs) and OH (HEx EMUs)

Polmadie (Glasgow) - PC (Coaching Stock) and PO (Locos)

On the other hand, you had other Depots like this that just used one code: -

Neville Hill (NL) - Coaching Stock, DMUs, EMUs and HSTs

Laira (LA) - Locos, HSTs, Coaching Stock and DMUs.

Eastleigh (EH) - Locos, EMUs

Norwich Crown Point (NC) - Locos, Coaching Stock, DMUs

Cardiff Canton (CF) - Locos, Coaching Stock, DMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.