• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

derailed 66 @ Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Does anyone have any more information on this?

a breakdown crane is on its way down from Bescot so I've been informed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well, according to the Information:

Exeter St Davids, Exeter Central, Digby & Sowton, Exton, Lympstone Village and Exmouth
Train operator affected First Great Western
Overrunning engineering work in the Exeter St Davids area is expected to cause disruption on Monday 21 November.

Because of this, the following alterations will apply.

An hourly train service will run between Exeter Central and Exmouth (usually half hourly between Exeter St Davids and Exmouth)

A replacement bus service will run between Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central
Additional bus services will run between Exmouth and Exeter St Davids during the morning peak
South West Trains services are able to run normally, but will call additionally at St James Park - First Great Western passengers may use these services.

Maybe that's why it's over-running. :-/

sonic2009

Established Member
The thing I've heard is a 66 has derailed on the hill between EXD and Central. Apparently a DB Schenker Locomotive.

anthony263

Established Member
It is 66111 which derailed yesterday evening prior to working 6W46 Exeter Central to Westbury on the catch points on the bank between Exeter Central & Exeter St Davids.

The hourly shuttle train between Exmouth & Exeter Central is using platform 1 at Exeter Central which is rarely used I have been told.
(Information taken from WNXX)

sonic2009

Established Member
Im on my way to Exeter on 1425 CNM - EXD, ex 1207 MAN So i will try and catch some photos with my phone. :)

starrymarkb

Established Member
If it's where I think it is the College car park may be a good bet. It sounds like they tried to take it down the up line (which is protected by catchpoints). If it was caught on the down then you'd be looking at a SPAD (as the signal at the top will not clear unless the route is set into St Davids with all catches closed)

I'm going to a certain punk dive on Queen Street later so might have a look on the way home

sonic2009

Established Member
19:30 the line will be closed to allow all necessary rerailing procedures. So I've Been told by FGW Guard :)

Temple Meads

Established Member
I was at Exeter St. Davids last night, and must've actually seen this, just I didn't know it, saw the flashing red lights that's on the 66 in that picture, just didn't know what it was lol!

Turbostar

Well, assuming they hadn't change the points because of the derailment, it looks like it had the road ahead, so I'm a bit baffled why it's derailed, especially if it's derailed on catch points as well.

bnm

Established Member
obviously on the back of a train on the up line, so a reasonable guess would be that it had rolled back somewhat.

Why is that obvious?

Could it not have been running down the Up Waterloo line?

Turbostar

It's an Exeter Central to Westbury freight, so for some unknown reason, it's been routed down the Up Waterloo line. Probably something to do with how it's come out of Central towards St Davids. The tail light is there to protect the end because of what's happened.

Just to clarify; she was wrong line running. I have photos which I will upload later of it sat in the up platform at Central to allow the diggers to offload ballast onto the downline in readiness for track replacement. So where it derailed was where it happened and not the rear. They where using the bay platform at Central for the Exmouth line and I assume ferrying passengers from St. David's via road, I assume?

wensley

Established Member
The train was 6Wxx and was actually moving within the T3 possession, hence the bang road running as has already been explained. I understand it was preparing to leave the worksite and the road was not set for the departure move, catch points were still 'ON' so to speak.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
The train was 6Wxx and was actually moving within the T3 possession, hence the bang road running as has already been explained. I understand it was preparing to leave the worksite and the road was not set for the departure move, catch points were still 'ON' so to speak.

The catch points were normal you mean ;)

83G/84D

Established Member

Why dosen't everyone just wait for the enquiry to find out what really happened instead of speculating as to what MIGHT have happened.

Just take a minute to think about the staff involved, what they are going through and all the worry they face before appearing to aportion blame.

Thankfully it appears the driver of the 66 was unhurt but rather shaken.

wensley

Established Member
I'm not looking to place blame on anybody...I appreciate an inquiry will find the responsible party(ies).

I was stating the facts to try and clear up the confusion as to why there was a wrong line movement taking place. And the catch point clearly were set against the loco - I didn't comment on who's fault it was that this resulted in a shed in the dirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.