• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailed Freight Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
THIS INCIDENT HAS BEEN CLEARED
Freight train derailment near to Broxbourne between Cambridge / Stansted Airport and London Liverpool Street

Time Reported: 07:35

Route Affected: London Liverpool Street – Hackney Downs – Seven Sisters/Tottenham Hale – Cheshunt - Broxbourne - Hertford East / Stansted Airport / Cambridge

TOC/s Affected: one

Description: Train services between Cambridge / Stansted Airport and London Liverpool Street are being disrupted due to a train derailment near to Broxbourne. The train affected is a freight train and no members of the public are involved. There is currently no estimate for normal services to resume

Updates: 12:40 Trains are now able to run through the affected area, however delays, alterations and cancellations can still be expected.

Time reported cleared: 15:19

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Sprog said:
Unless that guys staff, a hellva lot of phots in that gallery where attained through trespass. *cough* Gloucester *cough*

Couple of weeks ago, I was going to wander off from the platform towards where the locos are parked until Jim pointed out a paper sign tied onto some railings which said words along the lines of 'trainspotters must not pass this point'...not much of a deterrent - I didn't even notice it!

There is an old, disused, NHS car park just outside the station where it might possible to get views of the stabled stock from, only problem I found when I went there was a load of cars parked almost next to the locos.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Dennis said:
Couple of weeks ago, I was going to wander off from the platform towards where the locos are parked until Jim pointed out a paper sign tied onto some railings which said words along the lines of 'trainspotters must not pass this point'...not much of a deterrent - I didn't even notice it!

You were going to do what...?!

Are you PTS competent? Do you work for the railway? Pardon me for suggesting so, but, paper notice or not, you are NOT allowed to just wander off the end of a platform as you wish.

Incidentally the picture linked to did not require trespass, as it appears to have been taken from the Sainsburys depot on the other side of the line from the derailment.

one TN

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
one TN said:
You were going to do what...?!

Are you PTS competent? Do you work for the railway? Pardon me for suggesting so, but, paper notice or not, you are NOT allowed to just wander off the end of a platform as you wish.

Incidentally the picture linked to did not require trespass, as it appears to have been taken from the Sainsburys depot on the other side of the line from the derailment.

one TN

Its worth pointing out that it is more to the side of the platform than the end. There is a small sign but to most it just looks like a car park with the sidings at the end of it but still trepassing if you go into it I believe

O L Leigh

Established Member
Matt,

Side, end, it doesn't matter.

The entire railway network and associated infrastructure is private property. There are only two places that members of the public are allowed to be; on the stations or on the trains. If you're anywhere else without authority, you are trespassing.

one TN

Nick W

Established Member
ONE TN is right, we can't have different rules for passengers and enthusiasts.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Chaps,

Saw the aftermath of this today whilst at work.

The train was comprised of 2 x Lafarge/Redland self-unloading rakes of wagons hauled by 60007 in EWS branded Loadhaul livery. The loco and the first rake managed to get into the siding fine, but the middle of the second rake seemed to fall over (for reasons that are as yet unclear) leaving the rear of the train foul of the Up Cambridge line. Since the derailment ,the wagons and loco have been trapped in the sidings as the connection to the rest of the network has been severed.

The problem on Thursday seemed to be that the derailed rake could not be spilt. Within the rake, the couplings are semi-permanent bar couplings with standard buffing and drawgear on the outer vehicles only. Plus there was the added complication of the conveyor belt that runs under the entire length of each rake. Because two wagons had fallen on their sides, the couplings were twisted which caused problems. In addition, the conveyor belt needed to be cut in order to split the rear portion of the train from the rest. Had they been conventional wagons the problem would have no doubt been cleared more quickly.

This morning, the Stratford crane was due to lift the two derailed wagons out of the way. Unfortunately, the lifting didn't start on time which meant that services remained suspended until almost 9am. However, the two derailed wagons had been lifted out of the way and placed upright, and the line just cleared in time for the 0845 Bhsp Stfd - Liv St to pass (although he was still waiting at the signal protecting the siding by the time I caught him up with the 0845 STN-LST). As the day progressed, the PWay gang were getting on with re-establishing the connection with the rest of the world. Whether they are still working on this or whether they have completed the job and let the rest of the train out I just couldn't say.

Given that the internal couplings of each rake are not compatible with conventional drawgear, I'm not sure how the train will be (has been) moved. The rear five wagons had been moved to the Down Loop at Harlow Mill and were still there this afternoon. Presumably the two derailed wagons will be (have been) examined for damage and may be (have been) remarshalled into the train together with the wagons at Harlow Mill. Then again, all of this is speculation and guesswork. However, the train will have to be moved somehow at sometime, and the drawgear issue will need to be addressed.

Either way, I expect that it will be gone during the course of tomorrow if it hasn't already cleared off. So catch it while you can, folks.

one TN

TheSlash

Established Member
TN,
Basically when you get a derailment and you can't split the train like in the case you mention, the breakdown gang just get the gas axe out and chop through the coupling.
As for moving them, i expect it was done at 5mph using rope/wire to clear the site

LucaZone

Easy TM, he was only passing comment. A little light hearted banter into the conversation. Plus his comments were actually questions, so he was hardly passing verdict based on facts. Everyone can see that....

TheSlash

Established Member
Jim said:
When Dennis said what he said, there is a set of steps that lead to a RAILWAY STAFF car park, with ungated track accses with 2 paper signs!
You're not doing him any favours there, Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.