• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment Ardwick depot 17/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan2019

Just read on national rail that there's been a derailment at Ardwick depot. Anyone know any more details?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bovverboy

Established Member
According to RTT it happened at, or shortly before, 0500, and has blocked in any rolling stock that hadn't already gone out, both TP and NT.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Geeves

Established Member
Not bad going. Day two of using the new sidings for the 323s and one is on the deck already.

M60lad

Now saying disruption until 13:00 at the earliest, not going to be a good day for Northern & TPE on this side of the Pennines

Bovverboy

Established Member
Now saying disruption until 13:00 at the earliest, not going to be a good day for Northern & TPE on this side of the Pennines

I would say the effect on TPE has been infinitely greater than on NT. By my reckoning only two NT units were trapped, but with TPE it was at least four. What's more, NT 323s are scheduled to start running off service from 0756 (although that particular one was late in at 0808), and, indeed, no NT departures from Piccadilly appear to have missed since the 0802 Picc - Crewe.
TPE departures are continuing to miss, although one 185 appears to have somehow 'escaped' from Ardwick to do the 0800 Picc - Huddersfield.

Bovverboy

Established Member
I would say the effect on TPE has been infinitely greater than on NT. By my reckoning only two NT units were trapped, but with TPE it was at least four.

Revised estimates of units initially trapped: NT four units (presumably all 323s), TPE four units (probably three 185, one 350). It had been reported to the forum that only four 323s were going to stable at Ardwick overnight, but it would appear that the actual number is six.
Several NT and TPE services had already been cancelled by 0500 - can't blame the derailment for that!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was aiming for the 07:15 from Congleton to Stoke but it was cancelled as a result along with the next one (08:23).
I got the 09:24 service which ran as 156455
View attachment 71657

I saw that passing Stockport, having a race with the Southport to Alderley Edge. Bet it had fun trying to keep to EMU timings!

Bovverboy

Established Member
I was aiming for the 07:15 from Congleton to Stoke but it was cancelled as a result along with the next one (08:23).
I got the 09:24 service which ran as 156455
View attachment 71657

The cancellation of the 0715 was a direct consequence of the derailment, the booked unit comes from Ardwick. What should have been the 0823 was terminated at Macclesfield, being horrendously late, the forming journey (0721 Hazel Grove - Piccadilly) having been similarly late, and the outward 0651 Piccadilly - Hazel Grove. The forming journey for that, 0630 Stockport CMD - Picc was cancelled, so there's no obvious way to tell what happened there.
The EMU which should have done the 0844 Picc - Stoke looks to have been 'borrowed' to do the 0803 Picc - Glossop/Hadfield Circular. I don't know where 156455 came from, according to RTT it miraculously appeared in P5 at Picc, but there are DMUs available by 0844.
Well, so much for DMUs being supposedly barred from Picc- Stoke! 156455 looks to have done okay to Stockport, but lost ten minutes between there and Kidsgrove, nicely delaying both a XC and VT (Avanti).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The cancellation of the 0715 was a direct consequence of the derailment, the booked unit comes from Ardwick. What should have been the 0823 was terminated at Macclesfield, being horrendously late, the forming journey (0721 Hazel Grove - Piccadilly) having been similarly late, and the outward 0651 Piccadilly - Hazel Grove. The forming journey for that, 0630 Stockport CMD - Picc was cancelled, so there's no obvious way to tell what happened there.
The EMU which should have done the 0844 Picc - Stoke looks to have been 'borrowed' to do the 0803 Picc - Glossop/Hadfield Circular. I don't know where 156455 came from, according to RTT it miraculously appeared in P5 at Picc, but there are DMUs available by 0844.
Well, so much for DMUs being supposedly barred from Picc- Stoke! 156455 looks to have done okay to Stockport, but lost ten minutes between there and Kidsgrove, nicely delaying both a XC and VT (Avanti).

The Stoke services (southbound at least) have massively generous timings Picc to Stockport - I think I could almost manage that on my mountain bike on a parallel foot-and-cycle path :lol:

scrapy

Established Member
They are not barred (and obviously EMT run them Kidsgrove to Stoke) but Northern have to get permission to run them in a path designed for a 90mph EMU.

Ben Bow

There's a eastern exit from Ardwick depot to Ashbury's, I'm surprised any units were "trapped" there....

Bovverboy

Established Member
There's a eastern exit from Ardwick depot to Ashbury's, I'm surprised any units were "trapped" there....

Is it possible that the derailed unit was blocking the eastern exit? I don't know the layout at Ardwick Siemens, sorry.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Looking at the photos, hasn't the unit come to rest across the throat of the stabling sidings? They're single ended, nothing already stabled there would be able to get out.

With a 6 car formation then access to the main maintenance shed may well have been blocked for a while as well, until the non-derailed unit could be detached and moved.

Quickly doodled image attached of where I believe the two units came to rest, based on layout of pointwork, location of overhead wire stanchions and gantries, floodlights and canopies over the fuel roads in the photos shared on Twitter. Derailed unit 323234 shown in red, 323230 in blue.

Attachments

• 2019_12_17 Ardwick 323 derailment.jpg
    2019_12_17 Ardwick 323 derailment.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

twpsaesneg

Looking at the photos, hasn't the unit come to rest across the throat of the stabling sidings? They're single ended, nothing already stabled there would be able to get out.

With a 6 car formation then access to the main maintenance shed may well have been blocked for a while as well, until the non-derailed unit could be detached and moved.

Quickly doodled image attached of where I believe the two units came to rest, based on layout of pointwork, location of overhead wire stanchions and gantries, floodlights and canopies over the fuel roads in the photos shared on Twitter. Derailed unit 323234 shown in red, 323230 in blue.
Plus the Eastern exit isn't wired.

Ben Bow

Thanks very much for that, I didn't realise the derailment was inside the depot, from the one photograph I had seen I thought it was at the western exit adjacent to Ardwick Station.

323 Class

Excellent doodling.
Pictures do speak a thousand words.

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailMAN/status/1206875800563261440?s=20

Last edited:

Bovverboy

Established Member
Not bad going. Day two of using the new sidings for the 323s and one is on the deck already.

Two 323s stabled at Ardwick in the middle of the day Monday 2/12/19 to 6/12/19. These were the two which had previously run into Longsight CMD. They had continued to do that even after Allerton had become the principal maintenance base for 323s, and overnight stabling of 323s at Longsight had moved over to the Excursion Siding. These were the two which did, and still do, run off Hadfields after the morning peak.
From 9/12/19 to 13/12/19 the two aforementioned 323s reverted to running into Longsight between peaks. From this Monday, 16/12/19, they have run into Ardwick again and will presumably continue to do so.
On Saturday 14/12/19 four units (I think) ran into Ardwick straight off evening service. One looks to have gone out on service Sunday 15/12/19, but three returned, making up the standard complement of six ready for service Monday morning 16/12/19.

Status
Not open for further replies.