• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment between Downham Market and Kings Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just seen this on BBC News website:

Freight train derails on Ely to King's Lynn line
A freight train has derailed in Norfolk, causing major disruption to the Ely to King's Lynn rail service.

First Capital Connect said it happened at about 14:00 GMT as the train was travelling between Downham Market and King's Lynn.

British Transport Police said it was looking into the derailment.

A First Capital Connect spokesman said it was arranging replacement bus services between Downham Market and King's Lynn.

I have no further details at present.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sidious

What freight goes up there?

All I can think of is Sand from Middleton Towers or a RHTT?

tom1681

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Sand train coming off the ex docks branch and whilst traversing Tenyson Rd crossing - apparently the rear 14 loaded vehicles "have become derailed" - plan was to split the undamaged front part and move to Ely - hopefully - with luck - allowing FCC to run into the station. Depends of course on the extent of damage and if rail route is safe to pass etc etc. Meanwhile - everything turns round at Downham Market and buses onwards (which were arranged PDQ , as was the response by all parties at Kings Lynn) - more when known as they say....

G0ORC

Correct, there are two a day now from Middleton Towers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like it happened at Lynn, either the points weren't changed at the box or a CAT A Spad

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H12184/2013/11/15/advanced

Jumping to conclusions on the basis of a TRUST report does no-one any good.

Do not pre-judge until you know...

G0ORC

G0ORC

Obstruction, track defect, wagon defect, any one of thousands of things........

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

G0ORC

Obstruction, track defect, wagon defect, any one of thousands of things........

Speculation is unwise ...leave it to the experts on site this cold evening (and those getting people home or whatever)

Rich McLean

Established Member
It's better to wait until the RAIB report comes out before anyone points the finger

455driver

Veteran Member
Correct, there are two a day now from Middleton Towers
Looks like it happened at Lynn, either the points weren't changed at the box or a CAT A Spad

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H12184/2013/11/15/advanced

Your source for this is?

Quite an accusation a CAT A Spad! <D
How can a cat A derail the middle of the train?

I take it you dont actually have a clue what you are talking about and are just trying to look big but actually making yourself look a twit (sp).:roll:

Your source for this is?

Quite an accusation a CAT A Spad! <D
How can a cat A derail the middle of the train?

I take it you dont actually have a clue what you are talking about and are just trying to look big but actually making yourself look a twit (sp).:roll:

Its not a CAT A Spad, probably shouldn't have wrote that, if it was there wouldn't have been a derailment at all as the train would have just went back to Middleton Towers

That would only leave something happening with the points

Anyway we will leave for the RAIB report

Trains are now running again as of 18:30

Or a train defect, or a rogue badger, or anything! You're still speculating. :)

To clear this up my first couple of posts were jumping to conclusions and I shouldn't of written it, I apologise and take it back

The last post I am not speculating or accusing, I said "something happened at the points" which is a vague comment, there is no accusation there at all, its just my opinion of where the wagon come off the track that's all, I didn't say in that post how I thought it might have come off the track

455driver

Veteran Member
To clear this up my first couple of posts were jumping to conclusions and I shouldn't of written it, I apologise and take it back

The last post I am not speculating or accusing, I said "something happened at the points" which is a vague comment, there is no accusation there at all, its just my opinion of where the wagon come off the track that's all, I didn't say in that post how I thought it might have come off the track

No, you actually said-

CockneySparrow said
That would only leave something happening with the points

So you are speculating! ;)

Tomnick

Established Member
I can happily recommend a decent plant hire company, should anyone require heavy machinery to dig themselves out of a particularly deep hole ;) .

Now standing in Morrisons car park looking at the wagons, what I am seeing is around 14 wagons in dock branch which they use to change ends, all wagons appear to be grounded and upright with the outside rail on its side, there are currently a few NR staff around the wagons but so far nothing going on
Schenker staff were there mid afternoon, they have managed to put 5 wagons back on the track, from what I saw they were handballing them back on the track, there was no lifting gear or engine on site

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
If you're in a hole, aren't you supposed to stop digging?
Quite right, of course - I'm not sure whether I was suggesting heavy plant to continue digging or to effect some sort of rescue from above :oops: .

jonty14

Whats wrong with speculating? It gives something to talk about. No need to be nasty to Cockney Sparrow. This is the reason why I don't write on here much. You get slagged of all the time.

Tomnick

Established Member
Sensible speculation is one thing, factually presenting two options and stating that one of then was the cause is quite another.

I think when I say handballing you all know exactly what I mean. Anyway state of play around 6pm is a further 4 or 5 have been put on the tracks again with around 5 left grounded
Sensible speculation is one thing, factually presenting two options and stating that one of then was the cause is quite another.

I apologised for that

Tomnick

Established Member
I know (always appreciated!), and I thought we'd all moved on from it :) .

Carlisle

Established Member
Maybe it will take a little while to repair the track although I'm only speculating

carriageline

Established Member
There are three lines and only one out of use, its still possible to use the other two

And you know that for definite how?

If the points were involved, and have now been run through or whatever, I doubt the other line will be used now.

And you know that for definite how?

If the points were involved, and have now been run through or whatever, I doubt the other line will be used now.

Definately three lines including the one that's damaged

Besides they only use two at a time one for the whole set coming in the second for the engine to run round, as its only the wagons that derailed it will only be one of the three that's affected, I mean how can a wagon/engine derail on track its not on, suppose if something tipped over on its side it could damage the track next to it but not in this case as everything was upright just grounded

Where the points are they were just pushing the rerailed wagons back over it

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
So as you seem to know so much about this can I ask you a few questions-

1/ is the derailed train foul of any other lines.
2/ is the derailed train clear of the overlap track circuits.
3/ are the damaged points preventing any routes being set and proved.
4/ if the train is clear is there enough clearance for people to work around the train.
5/ if there is enough clearance how will the teams work, red zone or green zone.
6/ what form of protection will be used while the teams are working.

When you have answered those I will ask you another 6 questions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.